Restoring a project folder FT 5.1 to 6.1?

xC0MMAND0x

I have a project folder from a version 5.1 edition of FactoryTalk View Studio. I need to work on converting it to version 6.1 as an upgrade.

First off, can I open the folder in 6.1, or do I have to open it in 5.1? Second off, I don't have single .apa to work with. What I have is a Folder named "Project_Name" and that contains a bunch of sub folders (DTS, EDS, GFX, Global Ojbects, ... Mcr, PAR, RCP etc...), as well as Tag-Lists and a .sed file.

I'm not sure how to go about opening this copy of an HMI or what do to with it. I've tried looking online for resources, and tried opening the application or restoring it via the Application manager, but that seems to only want a single archive file.

Any thoughts/ideas/direction is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I would put some effort into getting the apa.
A 5.1 apa can be restored in 6

The alternate is to upload the mer out of the HMI, it might be editable.

Thanks, Mike - I'll see if I can get a hold of that. If I can't is there a way to open the files from just having all of the folders?

As a followup, if I can get the .apa and can open it in 6.1, is there a lot to do for the conversion process, or is a lot of that done automatically? I haven't done any upgrades before, and I'm pretty new to all of the software in general.

Thank you for your help so far.

You can open the old project directly from 6.1. When you open FactoryTalk View Studio and the "New/Open Machine Edition Application" pop-up window pops-up, go the "New" tab. Type in a name for the application and then go to the bottom of the window and click "Import...". You'll have to navigate through a couple of other pop-up windows - select "FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Project (*.med)" then browse to the project folder you're talking about and find the .med file. The program will create a new project with the name you chose and import the pertinent information from the original project.

I recommend rebooting everything after it has finished and make sure that all of the communication parameters are correct, but it should be pretty straight forward once you get to this point.

The apa will restore easily, the only snag is if your V6 install in on a Win 7 64 bit machine. Then there is a utility to run. I would stay with a 32 bit OS.

If you cannot get the apa or mer file, then create a new project, and import objects from your old project into the new. I remember seeing an article on the AB support page somewhere.

You can open the old project directly from 6.1. When you open FactoryTalk View Studio and the "New/Open Machine Edition Application" pop-up window pops-up, go the "New" tab. Type in a name for the application and then go to the bottom of the window and click "Import...". You'll have to navigate through a couple of other pop-up windows - select "FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Project (*.med)" then browse to the project folder you're talking about and find the .med file. The program will create a new project with the name you chose and import the pertinent information from the original project.

I recommend rebooting everything after it has finished and make sure that all of the communication parameters are correct, but it should be pretty straight forward once you get to this point.

Ah perfect! It was actually a Site Edition (.sed) but I followed the same steps, did an import and it seems to be doing a full import right now. I had tried doing all of my restoring/opening through the application manager and didn't think to try doing an import.

Things are going really well so far - was able to convert everything over and change the tag references to directly address the PLC with a conversion tool.

Here's the next question - I need to check to see if there was an VBA on any of the screens, and then make sure that if there was it transferred over properly.

I am opening up the original files in FTSE 5.1. My understanding is that the embedded VBA is contained in all of the .gfx files. Is there an easy way to see what display(s) have VBA on them other than opening them up individually and inspecting them?

Excuse me, I was thinking of something else. It's actually called the Application Documenter. It's found under FTView --> Tools. Let me know if you can't find it.

EDIT - Found my own answer! I found a display manually that had VBA Code, and then I looked at it in the Application Documenter and there's a whole section at the bottom that shows the VBA code!

===Original Post===
@John,

I found the application documenter just fine. It has all kinds of information about the displays! I don't seem to see anything referencing embedded VBA scripts, and the help/index search doesn't yield any results either.

Do you know if the application documenter does in fact show information on VBA scripts? It's probably right in front of me, but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited: