AB Compact to Compact MSG over ENET

pickerel

I'm trying to figure out the Communications Path I should enter in a MSG instruction in order to send CIP Data Table Read messages between 2 compact logix L35E processors on my network. All of the documentation I could find is related to Control Logix processors and having ENet modules mounted in a physical chassis.

Does anyone know if the following path will work:

This path also comes up as LocalENB,1,127.127.127.12,1,1

Thanks your help is greatly appreciated!

try it

1756enet,2, 192.168.55.31, 1, 7
that' one of our controllogix cip message configuration

1756enet = is local routing enet card

2 = is enet card slot

192.168.55.31 = is tcp/ip adress of the other clgix enet card

1 = slot of the other enet card

7 = slot of processor

LocalENB,1,127.127.127.12,1,1

the last number ( 1 )of your configuration should be wrong. If your processor is in slot 0, put 0

try it and give me news

The Help file in RSLogix 5000 actually has a very good explanation of CIP paths (believe it or not !), but I'll summarize for our purposes.

CIP message paths are composed of pairs of numbers: Port and Address.

The backplane (whether real, virtual, or embedded) is Port 1. The network port on any communications module is Port 2.

Addresses can be Node Numbers (CNet and DNet), IP Addresses (Ethernet), or Slot numbers (Logix backplane).

On a CompactLogix, the Controller is considered Slot 0 and the Ethernet interface is considered Slot 1.

So, to send the message pickerel needs to send, the path needs to be (starting from the processor):

Port , Address

Backplane Port , ENBT Slot Address
Network Port , IP Address
Backplane Port , CPU Slot Address

which equals:

1 , 1, 2, 127.127.127.12, 1, 0

additional thoughts

Because RSLogix 5000 gives a name to the Ethernet module, it will substitute that for the (Backplane, ENBT Slot) entry.

There is a way to parse a complex network path out of RSWho, if you're online and you're interested. Once you know the trick to Path addressing, though, it's not that useful.

I'm not too keen on that "127.127.127.x" network address; that's similar to the "127.0.0.1" address given to the Loopback Adapter that most operating systems implement; it might not be a valid address to many things like routers and bridges and firewalls. I'm not an IP expert, so it might be fine.

Ken Roach

Thanks for your help, the communications path you specified for me worked.

I was only using Enet address 127.127.127.xxx as an example.

Wiggum
Thanks for your reply, the communications path Ken Roach specified for me worked.