Determine an effective interface and control system for each of the following scenari

gregoryq1

[FONT=&quot]a. A PLC is the master controller in a baking facility. It updates recipes in remote PLCs. The master station is #1 the remote stations are #2 and #3. Station #2 is located 25m away in a separate room. Station #3 is located 100m away in a building across the street. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]b. A master PLC is located at the top of a movable industrial crane and controls the movement of cargo containers. A second PLC is located below to monitor the location of cargo containers. The PLCs are not currently connected to any system. Determine an effective interface and control system. [/FONT]

Is this homework or a real world app? Are all the plcs slc 500s? How are the recipes entered now? .??

Welcome to the forum. What have you come up with so far? if post your idea we will know where your stuck at and can help

Gregory, you are not getting help from the Forum because you are putting less than the minimum effort into your own posts.

The original question seems to be phrased to make you think about the limitations of serial networks for cable length.

The fact that they cite a 25 meter and a 100 meter network is probably meant to make you think about the 15 meter limit of RS-232 networks, the 100 meter limit of Ethernet, and the 1200 meter limit of RS-485.

The second question is probably made to make you think about radio controls and how they are used with mobile equipment.

But the actual question, where they ask "determine an effective interface and control system", is far too vague to answer. If they asked "describe a network connection that would allow peer-to-peer PLC connectivity under these circumstances", that would be answerable.

You should describe more about the context of these questions and provide additional information if it is available.

I had the same scenario, although I chose different brands (I prefer Redlion and Idec). My case it is 3 buildings with multiple PLC's in each one, furthest distance is 1 mile. What I did was go from the main HMI to the master PLC via ethernet, secondary HMI ethernet to a master Banner data radio out to the slave data radios to the slave PLC's via ethernet. in essence an encrypted large scale WiFi system. No wires to run or get damaged. Down side, expensive because you need a slave data radio for each slave PLC, in my case 9 slave units. At $400+ a pop, it added up quick. The PLC's all share data through the HMI's passthrough and data blocks. If I wanted slave HMI's then I could do the same process as the Master HMI by running the data radio to the HMI rather than the PLC. This was one of those "FUN" projects when you beat your head against the wall trying to figure it out but take pride when it is up and running.