1756-IF6CIS Analog Input integer scaling

LMDAVE

Hi, I'm new to controllogix but 20 years with PLC5. I am converting a PLC-5 program to controlligic. I had PLC 5 NIS analog input modules, and in the I/O config I could clearly set 4-20 mA to be 0 - 32767 counts.

Is there a way to set this up in control logix for 1756-IF6CIS as an integer? I see if I set it up as floating I can scale the 4-20mA to whatever I want. I'd prefer to keep it as an interger since I'm covert the program.

Thanks for any help.

When you choose "Integer" data format, you lose all the capabilities of the card to do on-board scaling, and lots of other features.

Presumably your existing PLC5 code is scaling the raw (0 - 32767) data from the input module to engineering units somehow.

If you absolutely can't reconfigure the code to accept a REAL value coming from the card, then simply do a MOV of the REAL input data to an INT tag of your choice. The MOV will convert the real input data (scale it on the card as 0.0 - 32767.0), to 0 - 32767 in your INT* tag.

*You will be better off using a DINT tag instead of an INT tag if you go this way. The ControlLogix processor is a 32-bit machine, and you should use 32-bit data-types whenever possible, anything else just means the processor is always converting INTs and SINTs to DINTs for executing the instructions, and then converting them back again for storage. This makes the use of INTs and SINTs inefficient. The only time you need to use INTs and SINTs is if you have to transfer array tags into/out-of other machines that don't talk 32-bit.

For me, I would find the code that does the scaling and just throw it away.... in other words let the input module do the scaling to engineering units. Again you may need to do a MOV to change the data-type of the input data if needed.

Last edited: