PLC controlled XY table

b.vijays

Hello All,
This is Vj and my project is to design and implement a PLC controlled XY table. The block diagram of the project is attached herewith . My concern is that the XY table should be able to carry 25 Kg of weight. So I need two heavy duty stepper motor to perform the operation. The PLC shoud be one which can be programmed using ladder logic and also be able to handle two motors, 5 push buttons and 2-3 sensors. Can anyone suggest any good PLC which I can purchase for the same ?

Thanks in advance

you need to understand two things
- MECHANICAL HARDWARE - THIS DOES THE HEAVY WORK
- CONTROL SYSTEM - the control program / PLC equipment.

at the end of the day you tell something to move with a low current / Low voltage - and the hard work is done by the electro mechanical devices

Most stepper drives want to see "step and direction" inputs to control position.
While most PLCs support the instructions to control steppers, not all of them have the appropriate I/O. You need to select a PLC with I/O that matches your stepper driver signal levels and supports pulse train outputs. Those signals could be either 24vdc or line driver depending on the stepper drive.

Welcome to the Forum, VJ.

Your system architecture diagram did not appear as an attachment. PDF format is usually the best way to post pictures to the Forum.

Many small logic controllers have hardware that's built to provide commands to stepper motors. The brand selection should be guided not only by the features but also by which brands are well represented in your area.

One important question I would ask is whether or not the X and Y axes need to have co-ordinated or interpolated motion.

If you are just moving in a straight line or just one axis at a time, any controller will be suitable. But if you need to move in a curve, you will need a controller capable of simple co-ordinated motion.

Hi

Some if the drive makers have some very nice stuff have a look at Parker, yaskawa or trio fit stand alone controllers that also have some programming functions

Donnchadh

Hi All,
Thanks for all your updates.
I have herewith attached the XY table project proposal. It needs to be moved in a curve also so as to accomplish a task. The PLC must be such as to handle all the specified sensors and also handle the two stepper motors for the X axis and Y axis.

have a look at arduino, or a 3d printer like a makerbot.
it will be a lot cheaper and faster as with a standard plc (