Communication with AB SLC 500 with a Red Lion DSP

jmaty23

I am looking to established ethernet communication with an Allen Bradley SLC 500 via ethernet. Both devices are already setup on my ethernet network. I need to know which driver to use in Crimson 3.0???

jmaty23 it depends on the SLC you have. If you have an SLC5/05 you want the DF1 Master. If you have any of the older SLC you want to choose DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP.

Thanks
Jeremy

Good point, I assumed you had a 5/05 since you said Ethernet. But if you're using a 1761-NET-ENI you'll want the EIP driver.

I chose DF1 Master liek you said. I have a tag setup checking to see if the device is online (isdeviceonline(3)) and it doesn;t seem to be communicating to the plc. Is there anything that has to be enabled on the PLC side to make it work?

Nothing needs to be configured on the PLC side, well other than its IP information. Do you have a data tag mapped to the PLC, and have this tag on the active screen or in the watch window? The DSP is smart enough to only poll the data it needs at the time, so if nothing is needed from the PLC, the DSP will not try to connect to it.

Regards,
Dan