FActory talk view, not valid archive

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
My customer just purchased a machine with an allen Bradley pv+1000 screen. They wanted me to keep a copy of the files. I was emailed a copy of the apa file from the manufacturer. When I try to open it, I get an error stating it is not a valid archive file. I am using ver 6.00. Im not sure what version it was written in.

Does anyone know what this error means?

Ive attached a screen shot of the error

My best guess is that the *.APA was created in version 6.10 or version 7.0, since it contains a version code that is unknown to version 6.00.

If it's not protected, you could get them to send you the .mer runtime file and try that. They may have to save as a version 6.0 for you before they send it though (depends what revision the terminal firmware is at).

At least you can then 'Restore' the runtime within FactoryTalk to see what's going on...

Regards,

Rob

I had a same issue with apa file. I asked and they said v7. And I had v6.1.
Is it possible to save *.mer file from 7 to 6? *.mer is just for runtime and cannot be edited.

*.mer is just for runtime and cannot be edited

As long as the option was ticked to allow edits and you are using version 5.0 or higher, then you should be able to restore the runtime file to allow full editing.

Regards,

Rob

As long as the option was ticked to allow edits and you are using version 5.0 or higher, then you should be able to restore the runtime file to allow full editing.

Regards,

Rob

Rob,

Where is that option? And how to check if *.mer is not locked for editing. Thanks

As long as the option to 'Allow conversion' is selected when the runtime is created, you should be ok (see attached image).

Regards,

Rob

2013-08-23_191648.png

Thanks Ken, that's what I was thinking. I have a call into the manufacturer asking what version they used.

My best guess is that the *.APA was created in version 6.10 or version 7.0, since it contains a version code that is unknown to version 6.00.

I phoned the manufacturer, and confirmed it was written with 6.10. I opened the file on another laptop that had version 6.1 and it worked perfectly.

Thanks everyone