Channel configuration for ML1400 PLC

shailesh_vb

Hello everyone,

I have doubt regarding ports of Micrologix 1400 PLC.

Channel 0 and Channel 2...

Channel 0 is Rs232C or RS485 or can be configured as both?

Same for Channel 2..

Because I did Modbus RTU Slave on Channel 0 and checked it with Modscan software. And used no RS485 to RS232 converter in between PLC and PC.

Thanks,
Shailesh.

Hi,

Not quite sure what your question is, but CH0 (8-pin mini) can be used with either RS232 or RS485. CH2 (9 pin D-Type) can only be used with RS232

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Rob

Hi,

Thanks for Reply.. My question was can we use Channel 0 for both RS232 and RS485 communication? I am doing Modbus RTU slave.. I wanted to read more than 2 slave devices
at a time on Master PLC.
And Yes I got it. For Channel 0 when I use 4 and 7 pin of connecter, then I think channel 0 can be used for RS 232 communication. And when I use pins 1 and 8 of connector, then i think channel 0 can be used for RS485(multidrop) communication.

I tried it yesterday.. and I got result..

Thanks,
Shailesh

I started this reply yesterday but got called away before I finished it. I'll post it now anyway for further clarity with regard to the ports in question.

MicroLogix 1400 User Manual said:
The MicroLogix 1400 controllers provide three communications ports, an isolated combination RS-232/485 communication port (Channel 0), an Ethernet port (Channel 1) and a non-isolated RS-232 communication port (Channel 2). The Channel 0 and Channel 2 ports on the MicroLogix 1400 can be connected to the following:

• operator interfaces, personal computers, etc. using DF1 Full Duplex point-to-point
• a DH-485 network
• a DF1 Radio Modem network
• a DF1 half-duplex network as an RTU Master or RTU Slave
• a Modbus network as an RTU Master or RTU Slave
• an ASCII network
• a DeviceNet network as a slave or peer using a DeviceNet Interface
(catalog number 1761-NET-DNI)
• an Ethernet network using the Ethernet Interface module
(catalog number 1761-NET-ENI, or 1761-NET-ENIW)
• a DNP3 network as a Slave

When connecting to RS-485 network using DH-485, DF1 Half-Duplex Master/Slave, Modbus RTU Master/Slave or DNP3 Slave protocols, the MicroLogix 1400 can be connected directly via Channel 0 without an Advanced Interface Converter, catalog number 1761-NET-AIC. The Channel 0 combo port provides both RS-232 and RS-485 isolated connections. The appropriate electrical interface is selected through your choice of communication cable. The existing MicroLogix 1761 communication cables provide an interface to the RS-232 drivers. The 1763-NC01 cable provides an interface to the RS-485 drivers.

So...

shailesh_vb said:
Hello everyone,

I have doubt regarding ports of Micrologix 1400 PLC.

Channel 0 and Channel 2...

Channel 0 is Rs232C or RS485 or can be configured as both?

Correct. By selecting your protocol and using the correct cable the Channel 0 port will be auto configured as either an RS-232 or RS-485 electrical interface. You can connect directly, using only a cable, as this port is electrically isolated from the device or network you are connecting to.

Same for Channel 2.

Not correct. Channel 2 uses an RS-232 only port. You can select the same communication protocols as Channel 0, except that where a protocol uses an RS-485 electrical interface, such as MODBUS, you must use an RS-232 to RS-485 converter, such as a 1761-NET-AIC. Also, because Channel 2 uses a non-isolated port, when using RS-232 communication protocols, it is best practice to use the 1761-NET-AIC as an optical isolator between RS-232 devices.

Because I did Modbus RTU Slave on Channel 0 and checked it with Modscan software. And used no RS485 to RS232 converter in between PLC and PC.

You know it works, but now you know a little bit more about why it works.

Thanks,
Shailesh.

G.