Need PLC help for Final Year Project

mbsid786

I need a Programmable Logic Controller for my FYP. I've no such exposure to PLC just have studied that subject. I want a PLC that is easy to programme and interface, doesn't require extra modules or any other stuff and useful for study purposes.
Right now I have 2 analog inputs (for temp. and humidity)
8 to 10 digital inputs (water level sensors, CO2, NH3, light sensors etc.)
Almost 10 digital outputs including 2 to 3 motors, few fans and might be some electronic shutters or valves.
It's a prototype and has to be built on a small scale, it's structure is almost 5 feet in length. I've searched some PLCs like Siemens S7-300 CPU 313C and 314 types.
http://www.automation.siemens.com/m...us/pages/default.aspx#SIMATIC S7-300 CPU 313C

Some people told me Siemens PLCs are better for study purposes and don't create much hurdles. Also they're greatly used in industries and how's Simatic STEP 7 programming language? Whereas Fatek, Delta etc. PLCs don't provide good exposure and may get me stuck somewhere. Since I've no such practical experience of PLC need your help what PLC should I choose and some suggestions.
Thank you!

I want a PLC that is easy to programme and interface, doesn't require extra modules or any other stuff and useful for study purposes.
There are no PLCs that are guaranteed to be able to forcast the future and know all possible purposes for which you might ever want to use it. For me, it is best to buy one that DOES allow added additional modules for ditital and analog Inputs or Outputs. It is not that modular PLCs require additional stuff, but that they have provisions for and ALLOW adding additional stuff as your needs change.

if siemens i'd go with S7-1200. i think it's way cheaper than S7-300 it does allow for expansion and it's good for experimenting.
if ethernet is not important you could go with older s7-200 but that series is obsolete and replaced with 1200. however microwin for 200 is cheaper than TIA portal...

It is more a matter of what you want to learn
I grew up with Relay / Ladder Logic so most PLC's are easy to use.
I have learnt the Siemens PLC more recently -
what would you usually expect to use

ask the teacher maybe he has something in a closet?, put a add on the message board at school, what companies are near you, that uses plc?
etc.

If you are looking for low cost, an all in one Micro is going to be the cheapest. Here's some options I like:

Allen-Bradley Micro800 family:
- Micro810 hardware starts at $99, but not expandable
- Micro830 is more but also is expandable with plug in modules
- Free programming software from www.AB.com (CCW, Connected Components Workbench)
- Programs in Ladder, Function Block, and Structure Text
- Program using standard USB cable
- Over 50 "how to program" YouTube videos posted by A-B

Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1000 or 1100:
- ML1000 hardware starts at ~$149, not expandable
- ML1100 hardware is more but expandable up to four 1762 IO modules
- Free programming software from www.AB.com (RSlogix Micro Starter Lite)
- Free offline emulation software, RSEmulate500, from www.AB.com
- Programs in Ladder Logic
- 1000 requires $35 serial cable (you need a serial port on your pc, or usb to serial converter)
- 1100 Programs using standard ethernet cable
- Very popular in USA (where I live)

Hope this helps! 🍻

If you are looking for low cost, an all in one Micro is going to be the cheapest. Here's some options I like:

Allen-Bradley Micro800 family:
- Micro810 hardware starts at $99, but not expandable
- Micro830 is more but also is expandable with plug in modules
- Free programming software from www.AB.com (CCW, Connected Components Workbench)
- Programs in Ladder, Function Block, and Structure Text
- Program using standard USB cable
- Over 50 "how to program" YouTube videos posted by A-B

Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1000 or 1100:
- ML1000 hardware starts at ~$149, not expandable
- ML1100 hardware is more but expandable up to four 1762 IO modules
- Free programming software from www.AB.com (RSlogix Micro Starter Lite)
- Free offline emulation software, RSEmulate500, from www.AB.com
- Programs in Ladder Logic
- 1000 requires $35 serial cable (you need a serial port on your pc, or usb to serial converter)
- 1100 Programs using standard ethernet cable
- Very popular in USA (where I live)

Hope this helps! 🍻

+1....Same thing I would recommend.

you know guys, every time we get this type of post we give the same recomendations.
at the end of the day these are all good.
I am not going to put in my recomendations with free software and USB connections, etc. The OP suggested a number of PLC's also.

We just need the OP to let us know a litle bit more info.
what we also need to know is what the OP wants to learn