VM Ware VS Siemens License

nuby01

I am running a VM ware player running Windows XP so I can run WinCC flexible. I'm trying to transfer the license from the host because the VM player does not recognize USB devices? When I try to connect the WIN XP license manager to the host PC I get the following error.

Has anyone had this problem? Any workarounds other than upgrading the VM ware player to workstation?

error.PNG

You should get VMware to connect to the USB stick.
There is a function to connect the USB device to the VMware guest (and to disconnect from the host).
This normally works OK for regular USB devices such as Flash sticks etc.

Thanks Jesper, that's what I thought, just checking to see if there was a way around it as for the life of me I can not get this version of VMware to connect to the host USB, apparently the version of VMware player does not support USB 3.0!

Don't waste your time or money upgrading- VMware Workstation doesn't support USB3.0 either. It blows my mind, but whatever.

To move the license, just use the offline transfer function (the Automation License Manager help does a fair job of explaining it). You just need to follow the procedure to the letter and it will work fine.

AHHHH, wish I would have read that sooner, just spent $250 on the new workstation to find you are right! o_O

I hope to get some tech support from VMware and see if they have a solution otherwise I will try the offline transfer as you suggested. It is crazy if they cant support USB 3.0, maybe the only question I should be asking tech support is how to get a refund!

Thanks for your help

They do not support USB 3.0, period. You can google it, and all you will find is a bunch of threads from frustrated users and VMware apologists who claim it's because of the Windows OS. Get a refund unless you need Workstation for other reasons (fwiw, other than this quirk, VMware is great).

I stumbled onto this problem when I purchased an ASUS laptop that only had USB 3.0 ports, and the rest is history.

If you have license manager on another computer then you can transfer keys across the network. I have done this in the past. You may need to switch off the firewall to do it and the PC with the license must be set to allow remote licence removal (sorry I don't remember the exact name).

Nick

a little 🤷 but i wonder what's next? laptops without dvds?

first they removed serial port, next i see they started removing normal usb. seems that customer care becomes less and lees important. soon instead of manufacturers listening what customers want we'll have manufacturers forcing customers adapting to what they offer...(n) (n) (n)

Gentlemen you are terribly misinformed. The newest upgrade of VM Ware workstation which is V9 does have full USB 3.0 support I know becuase I have it right in fron of me.

The thing is that your Guest OS must have native USB 3.0 support and if you are using a Microsoft OS that would be windows 8 as anything lower does not have native USB 3.0 support. Windows 7 does not have it either because Redmond decided to write a fresh USB driver stack for Windows 8 and not build on the stack in Windows 7 becuase the core of that stack dates back to Windows 98 SE.

You can make your older Windows OS guests work with USB 3.0 ports and function at a 2.0 level but you need to make some changes to your workstation install. There are a couple methods to do this and more than I need to put in this thread.

If the OP just upgraded workstation he has 90 day or 1 year support. Call VM Ware and they will walk you through it as it's a well known issue and there is a work around.

So the plot thickens...my guest OS is Windows 7 so that may be the issue, in the meantime im still waiting for tech support to respond..:whistle:

I did get the license moved using S7Guy's offline transfer suggestion which is all I really cared about!

Well there is more than one 32 bit brick I need to put in this truck but I get your point! That's what expense accounts are for!