Anyone know when AB wi have Windows 8 support for RSLogix 500?

I would not hold my breath.

Windows 8 is being shunned by the IT community as a home use bird and not for buisness /enterprise and for that reason Rockwell may skip it for the most part much like they did for vista for a long time and even then there were very few products supported under it.

Thanks,

That is what I figured. I have a user that is using it in a Win7 VM on Windows 8 but there are still many hassles with using it this way and problems when anything regarding the network even blinks.

Just looked at Rockwells site and it doesn't even acknologe Windows 7

System Requirements & Compatibility

• IBM®-compatible PC with Pentium® processor
  • Microsoft® Windows 98, Windows NT® (version 4 w/ SP4 or higher), Windows 2000, or Windows XP
  • 32 MB of RAM (64 MB recommended)
  • 50 MB of free hard disk space (or more based on application requirements)
  • 16-color VGA Graphics Adapter, 640 x 480 or greater resolution (256-color 800 x 600 optimal)
  • Products require the use of RSLinx Classic Lite. RSLinx Classic Lite is included with RSLogix 500
From: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix500/sysreq.html

Late revisions of RSL5 and 500 are Win7 compatible.
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42682
However, let's face it : PLC and SLC systems have been out there for decades and even if the MicroLogix platform is still being upgraded, their dedicated user software will not be advertised as compatible with the latest OSs.
Win8.1 should be released shortly and since it will carry a "Dual-Boot- Tiles or Desktop" feature, it will probably be easier "accepted" by business IT and most likely developed upon by the technical software "manufacturers" including RA.

You can lookup support here:

http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/ProductFeatureLookup.aspx?crumb=106#

Use the "Operating System" from the drop down to filter through.

They acknowledge Windows 8, but I'm with PLC Kid, it will be a while before it's "supported", probably after 8.1 is released in the fall, so maybe spring 2014?

I'd be interested to know more about your issues with the VM, I've never had problems.

Side note, since v9 is pretty much compatible w/Windows 7 you probably can install it on Windows 8 an expect little issue, just won't be "supported".

RS500.jpg

Running RSLogix 500 9 on a VMware Virtual Machine.

Factory Talk server on the Windows 8 host

The crux of RSLogix works but if you open an .RSS file from a shared folder on the host there is any little glitch in your network connections you get an error message when you try to save the file.

So then you have to save it to a different location or with a different name and then copy it back to where you really want it. It is a bit annoyance and something I have seen reference to here and on other sites.

So it technically isn't an Allen Bradley issue but still affects the RSLogix workflow and is a point of possible mistakes happening that isn't necessary.

Running RSLogix 500 9 on a VMware Virtual Machine.

Factory Talk server on the Windows 8 host

The crux of RSLogix works but if you open an .RSS file from a shared folder on the host there is any little glitch in your network connections you get an error message when you try to save the file.

So then you have to save it to a different location or with a different name and then copy it back to where you really want it. It is a bit annoyance and something I have seen reference to here and on other sites.

So it technically isn't an Allen Bradley issue but still affects the RSLogix workflow and is a point of possible mistakes happening that isn't necessary.

I don't know that I would say it's not an AB issue because I know logix 5 /500 has always had issues with network drives even on physical machines with solid networks and most of the time the issues are when you open a file from a network share and then have errors when you try to save it.

I have seen this issue before myself and I have seen it here in the forums a few times.

Windows 8 is an "other" version of Windows. Which means it is new and groundbreaking and a game-changer and is really, really terrible because of that. This is the case with every "other" version of Windows since Windows 95.

Windows 95: Fairly solid
Windows 98: ****
Windows 98 SE: Fairly Solid
Windows ME: So much **** Microsoft disavowed all knowledge of its existence.
Windows XP: The solid standard
Windows Vista: ****
Windows 7: The new solid standard
Windows 8: ****

Windows 9 is probably going to be the version Rockwell will move to support long-term.

Experience the same thing on a non-virtual machine if opening from a network folder. It's not a VM thing at all.

I got a feeling that Windows 10 will be the next Win7 but who knows. Win 10 is basically Win 8.1 + some features and I run the tech preview version in VirtualBox with 8.1 setting.