Automation Direct HMI

Duxbut

Are these units any good? We just had one go out in less than 2 years. They replaced an EZ model with a C-More. Will this unit last or should we be looking into something else?

Thanks!

I started using C-more screens on som periferial equipment we built and I actually have had one C-more develop issues in less than a year. The plastic layers of the screen have started to seperate. Still functional but cosmetically not cool. I stopped using them and went back to Mitsubishi HMI's. I have some of these running 5+ years and still perfect. (GOT GT16 series) More expensive but as usual you get what you pay for.

Just my 2 cents

Dave

We have maybe 30 C-more mico hmi's in out plant. Have seen the separation with the plastic on a couple from hard usage. Some have been in use for years, and I've yet to replace one.

I must have had the bad batch, then; I ended up buying six C-More terminals in order to get three out the door without screen delamination. Three of them just came apart in the shop during testing.

Once we got good ones, all reports are that they held up in the field.

The reputation of the "E-Z Automation" hardware is very poor.

I've had the separation on one of my units, but it was in an area that was being drenched in a water based solution frequently. It still worked, touch screen and all, just looked bad. It was not really an issue with the screen, more using it in an environment it wasn't suited for.

Other than that, the only times I've ever had them really fail is when someone decides to put something through the screen. I have close to 5 dozen if not more in service, and have been using them for close to 6 years.

Edit:
The new models I have these days have a noticeably different cover on the screen, it does feel sturdier. And slightly textured.

After reviewing several reviews, price, tech support and parts availability ; Cmore wins. EASY INSTALLATION AND SOFTWARE.

Some issue with screen plastic, easily replaceable 62.00$

I love C-More panels. Low cost, easy to program, easy to set up, built-in web interface (really built-in, like all you have to do is turn it on in your options and no dinking around with installing Viewpoint seperately and dealing with version incompatibility hell), mobile app connectivity, built-in FTP server, etc. etc. There are a lot of little things that make you go "wow, that's kind of nice." Like how you can flash the screen of the terminal from the Download dialog so you can physically verify the panel you want to download to.

Only thing I don't like about them is the way the screen feels. There seems to be a big gap between the membrane and the screen, which is not a big deal, but it feels cheap. Also, the Bezel-to-screen ration is kind of large and looks ugly. It sounds weird but not having any kind of logo on the Bezel makes it look like what it is: the cheap off-brand panel.

There are some programming limitations to them of course, but for the money you're saving, there's no reason to go with a name-brand like Allen-Bradley unless you absolutely have to have a certain feature that nobody else does. I can't say enough good things about C-More.

Last edited:
We have maybe 30 C-more mico hmi's in out plant. Have seen the separation with the plastic on a couple from hard usage. Some have been in use for years, and I've yet to replace one.

I've seen this happen with Panelview Plus as well. Especially in a wet environment. Depending on where you go, operators are generally pretty abusive with their touch screens. They're used to pushing big old honking NEMA push buttons so they go to a touch screen with the same mentality. They'll sit there and start tapping the screen button because there's a delay in the process as if that actually does anything.

I've actually had people BREAK touch screens by pushing on them too hard. I got called down and saw the spiderwebs on the screen and the operator was like "I just pressed it and it broke." Yeah...right.

The screen lamination should not be having issues on any models that have been produced in the past year or more.

If you have a newer screen or bezel that has this issue, please PM me so that I can get it back and take a look at it and get it to the proper people for evaluation.

Only thing I don't like about them is the way the screen feels. There seems to be a big gap between the membrane and the screen, which is not a big deal, but it feels cheap. Also, the Bezel-to-screen ration is kind of large and looks ugly. It sounds weird but not having any kind of logo on the Bezel makes it look like what it is: the cheap off-brand panel.

I recently ordered two HMI and screen protector. I believe they have fixed the issue with gap in recent models. I also ordered bezel and try to older screen but the gap in older screen the same 2-4mm. Else is fine. Don't forget to order screen protector.

With the exception of one bad backlight and an operator who felt it would be a good idea to use the business end of a common screwdriver to press the buttons, I've had excellent luck with C-Mores for the past five or six years. Nine 6", two 12" and a 15" - all in wash-down environments.