Code

dsmith2

I have a program in VB FOR A RS 5000 that I can not access to change the para. Is there a way to to convert the . L5K to readable bit in RSLINKS.

Welcome to the Forum !

Could you please re-state your question in more detail ? I'm an expert with most of the products you mentioned, but I can only guess at what you are actually asking.

It sounds like you have a Visual Basic program that reads data from a ControlLogix control system, but you do not have the source code for that Visual Basic program in order to modify how it works.

I'm not sure what the second part of the question means.

You are correct I need access to change settings and dont realy understand how VB works in conjunction with Rockwell. Are they using JSR to connect the code?

JSR is a subroutine call instruction in RSLogix software that instructs the control program in the ControlLogix CPU to jump to a subroutine. It is not related to controller-to-computer communications.

Some PC-based applications that communicate with controllers implement their own data exchanges by directly accessing the serial or Ethernet ports of the computer. Many use a middleware layer called 'OPC' or 'DDE' to connect to a separate piece of driver software. RSLinx Classic is just one of these "OPC Data Access Servers".

Are you intending to change the way the VB application works ? I just don't think that will be possible without the source code.

Or are you intending to change the way the logic controller application works ? For that you're probably going to need a consultant or integrator who already has skill and experience with Rockwell Automation programmable control systems.

The VB gives all the calulation for a machine that moves, punches, and cut material but the optimizer portion is causing large amounts of scrap. How can I get to that code to make adjustments. The lengths vary and the program tries to calculate the best movement to consume most of the material but something is not correct. Any suggestion would be great thanks for your time with a person that has limited understanding.

Do you know which version of Visual Basic it was written in? It will typically be VB6 or some flavor of .NET (2005, 2008, 2010, 2012)?

If you don't know, you can open the exe with notepad and look for some clues. Mots of it will be unreadable, but if it is .NET, toward the bottom of the file will be something about ".NETframework"