Academic project

saneesh_k

Dear friends,

I want to do an academic project on 'Gas insulated substation' using allen bradley micrologix PLC 1100. I want to measure the following details and to display the values on the PLC LCD display simulation or using any simulation software. the parameters are - Voltage, frequency, current, active and reactive power and breaker position. What are the methods I can use for measuring and display using PLC. Is it possible using allen bradley PLC. What are the components required for this engineering project. Plese help me in this regard.

Thank you very much

yes it is possible
you will need a device/s to measure the information and feed it back to the PLC
you will need a device (military secret - cant disclose it) to show the position of the breaker
As far as the PLC LCD display I have not used it for that purpose
And am not sure if you can do that

...the parameters are - Voltage, frequency, current, active and reactive power, and breaker position.
A big important question is what brand and model of the substation circuit breaker, and does the circuit breaker already compute and display the parameters? If not, it will be very difficult to come up with equipment that can be added on to measure the parameters. There is such equipment, but it has to be matched to the voltage and current levels of each breaker that is to be measured. All this is before you even get the data into the PLC.

Actually a PLC is probably not the best choice to handle the data from the substation. There are plenty of Power Monitoring devices that can do a much better job. But you said it is an "academic" project, meaning that real-world concerns like "is it the best approach", and "will the breaker have the right communications interface to be able to send data to the MicroLogix" and "will it be so complicated that no technician can keep it running" can be thrown aside and we can pretend that it will work just hunky-dory!

Last edited:
(y)The Schneider high current breakers range have this option with an inteligent interface

A big important question is what brand and model of the substation circuit breaker, and does the circuit breaker already compute and display the parameters? If not, it will be very difficult to come up with equipment that can be added on to measure the parameters. There is such equipment, but it has to be matched to the voltage and current levels of each breaker that is to be measured. All this is before you even get the data into the PLC.

Actually a PLC is probably not the best choice to handle the data from the substation. There are plenty of Power Monitoring devices that can do a much better job. But you said it is an "academic" project, meaning that real-world concerns like "is it the best approach", and "will the breaker have the right communications interface to be able to send data to the MicroLogix" and "will it be so complicated that no technician can keep it running" can be thrown aside and we can pretend that it will work just hunky-dory!

Actually 3 voltage transmitters, 3 current transmitters, 3 AC Phase Angle & Power Factor transmitters, 9 analog inputs (3 for voltage, 3 for current, and 3 for power factor), 1 digital input per disconnect/breaker, and the correct math should make it quite easy to accomplish this task. I have done this before and it was actually easy to implement and even easier to display on a panelview. If you know the power factor, voltage and current you can figure all the others. And since most, if not all, breakers/disconnects either come with or have provisions for aux switches you have your on/off condition of the breaker. (actually you should use Aux and the 3 voltage inputs to make sure that the device is actually closed/open for safety's sake!!!!!)

a link to a similar transmitters like I have used before is here below.

current : http://www.transcat.com/catalog/productdetail.aspx?itemnum=CTL2002F

Frequency : http://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/global/en/classid_1830.htm

phase: http://www.laurels.com/transmitter-phase.htm

Voltage : http://www.omega.com/pptst/OM9.html

Last edited:
Good Info Max
I thought as it was an academic project
our friend might have gained that knowledge by searching either this site or that weird site that doesn't have much info on it 'Google'

Thank you dear friends....

Dear friends,

Thank you very much for spending your valuable time for me in this regard and thanks for giving valuable informations also

thanks and regards

thanks for the thanks
sorry for giving you a hard time
can not help myself sometimes

Actually 3 voltage transmitters, 3 current transmitters, 3 AC Phase Angle & Power Factor transmitters, 9 analog inputs (3 for voltage, 3 for current, and 3 for power factor), 1 digital input per disconnect/breaker, and the correct math should make it quite easy to accomplish this task.
Looking through that list, and knowing what each item is going to take to get speced, ordered, received, installed, and tested, then I doubt if Saneesh is going to say it was simple (even for an academic project)!

Let us hope that his breaker has most of those items built-in or installed already, and all he has to do is hook up a comm signal from the breaker to his Micrologix.

Last edited: