Ethernet Hubs

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I have an application where I need to put an ethernet hub in a control enclosure on a machine. Do you normally just use office cheapo equipment or should I go for something more geared toward industrial use.

The main source I'm familiar with for this type of equipment is B&B electronics http://www.bb-elec.com. Has anyone had experience with their ethernet hubs (or switches?).

Thanks,

nOrM

Switches

FYI

I have 3COM office type switch on the floor (without any problems)and I just received a Hirschmann 5TX Rail Switch DIN pail mounted for a vision system we are installing.

Bob O

Standard (office grade) switches do work. D-Link and LinkSys
run fine...

I tried couple times (and regreted) StarTech products.
Most of them do work but individual units that would not
work right out of box or would die very soon (some 232/485
convertors died after few weeks of operation, two 16-port
switches had only lower 8 ports working etc.).

I won't bother with industrial hubs unless:

1) They come down with price (max 2-3 times more expencive
than office products, not 20-30 times) or

2) If I encounter a situation where standard switch won't work
(haven't seen such situation so far although we install
2-3 switches a month all over North America - and we have
been doing it for years now) or

3) Customer requests AND pays for it (hey, I am a good guy...).

Last edited:
D-Link and LinkSys run fine....
...for now.

If you're going to use an office-grade product, I always recommend Netgear's steel-cased switches. They have a decent power supply, a ground lug, and a solid enclosure.

I wouldn't put 3COM, DLink, or Linksys into an industrial environment that has even a little bit of vibration or electrical noise.

Industrial ethernet hardware isn't magic; they just use higher-quality components to get better reliability and higher MTBF values. I haven't had the luck that panic mode has with office-grade switches and hubs. I've spent a lot of time proving the switch was the problem when an A-B controller attached to it wouldn't work.

Last edited:
The cheapest 5 port Industrial Ethernet Switch I could find was the Advantech ADAM-6520. B&B Electronics lists them for $149.95. I used two on a project and they worked fine. Office type switches with their wall plug power supplies just don't seem the right thing for an industrial cabinet.

Link To Switch

My site has a mix of both Commercial and Industrial grade "Switches", avoid hubs. Switches will reduce you collision substantially. When ever I install a new one I use an Industrial Grate EtherTRAK real-time Switch if for no other reason just because it mounts on Standard Symmetrical Rail and uses 24V (No need for a "Clean Power" Outlet).
I don't see prices but I am sure they cost more than Commercial grade but for me they are stock and very easy to Install.

I think the website is sixnetio.com