Having Trouble Connecting My Direct Logic PLC 06 to My Lap Top

Hi,

I am new and barely know what I am doing and I have some questions. I have a Direct Logic DL06 PLC with DirectSoft 5. I at one time had everything figured out and connected to my laptop. I was able to make programs and send them to my plc with no problems. A week ago, I had to wipe everything out of my computer and reload everything. I am having trouble trying to get my programming cable to be detected on my lap top. I have my plc on and when I try to plug in my cable, which is a usb-d2-dscbl, my laptop will not (usb port) will not recognize it. It will however recognize jump drives and my mouse with no problems. What do I need to do to fix this.

Thanks,
David

You probably need to open your DirectSoft 5 software, open the program file, and from the top menu select "PLC","Connect", then select the Link to your PLC from the list, or if a link is not shown, add a new one. If the link is on the drop-down list, select it, click "Edit", and look at it to make sure that it is still set for the right port parameters. Then back on the "Select" list, make sure the little box in the left bottom corner "Link Enabled" is checked. Otherwise your link will stay disabled.

The link enabled button was one of my problems. Now at least when I open DS5 it shows the port but still reads disabled. Before I had nothing. I still cant figure out why my usb cable is not getting detected by my computer. When I plug it in, it does not make the low tone- high tone accepted sound, It makes 2 low tone sounds like its not detected.

when I try to connect it says "Error Connecting to PLC. Can not access com port. The port may not be present or another app may be using it."

I am not sure how to check if anything else is using it but nothing else is plugged in so I would assume nothing.

Under control panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager you'll find the settings for your Com Ports.
Make sure you are pointing the software to the right com Port.
It may be looking for Com Port 1 which doesn't exist if you're using a USB to serial adapter.
Find what port your USB to Serial adapter uses and point the DS software to it.
You should be able to go online once set up your ports.

It Works!

Thanks Everyone. I went to that location and I guess it needed some kind of driver update which I did and it seems to load and work fine now.

The driver software must be installed first, prior to plugging in the USB. If you plug in the USB first, Windows loads a driver that doesn't work. In that case, you have to navigate to it and update it with the correct driver, as you did.