New Powerflex drive added, revision different Help

I've replaced one of our Powerflex 700 drives in our gensets. Old one was a FW 8.002 New one 10.001 through a 20 comm e card, now in RSlogix5K it shows up with code 16#116 Electronic keying mismatch. Originally, the FW selection tabs were visible, but I figured our RS5K was a older version. Updated. Now its V17.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 1) Installed Firmware Support:

v13

v15

v16

v17

v18

v19

But the FW version tabs are now greyed out. The right FW is there offline. Does this mean I have to do changes offline then download? This PLC is running our gensets and we can't afford a blackout/shutdown. I read after SW version 165 you can change onlline? But I can't What am I missing? I am more SLC/PLC5 programmer, not a lot of control logix experience.

Welcome to the Forum!
What firmware revision is running on the CLX controller?
If less than Rev.19, unfortunately, you will have to download to the CPU controller in order to "mitigate" the PF firmware issue.

How do I check the Controller revision?
And will disable keying let it run ok? I'm very leery as don't want to fault processor or anything as I can't cause a blackout here. The system was not designed very well from the beginning, and like I said, I am more familiar with RS5 and 500 programming/processors

The Controller Properties folder within the respective application's RSL5K Project Tree will reveal the CPU firmware revision level.
Unless it is an application using features which do not exist on the newer PF (very rare occurence!) you should be able to disable "keying" within the Online RSL5K VFD module's properties and be able to functionally control the drive; what you will not be able to do if not "mitigating" the firmware issue is to connect Drive Executive to the respective device directly via the RSL5K Online interface.

OK, Thx. I looked up controller revision and it's 17.2 So No Online module capabilities. Also tried to disable electronic keying, and it gave me a Failed to modify properties. Object can not perform service in it's current mode/state.

No Drive executive installed. Onlt have a controlFlash which I tried updating the 20-COMM-E card

So can I update the controller revision? Looks like I have to do a DL, and if can update the revision so can online change module revisions. Might as well do that at the same time. I forsee other drives failing in this application and me having to do this all over again. Just the way things seem to work here.

I appreciate all your help, as my company is too cheap to pay for the Tech Support, I can't even call Rockwell for help

You don't have to go updating the controller firmware, you just need to change the "Electronic Keying" setting in the I/O connection to "disabled".

Yes, you can only do this offline. That's the way things are. You're just going to have to schedule a shutdown of the control system.

Electronic Keying is intended to keep network addressing mistakes from turning into control mistakes. Without electronic keying to help tell different models of drives apart, just entering the wrong network address might cause the wrong device to be controlled.

The downside, especially with variable-frequency drives, is that when the drive is replaced with a unit that is a different Major Firmware Revision, electronic keying fails. Drive failure is uncommon enough that often a system is in service for many years before anyone realizes this is a problem.