Convert to remote i/o rack

go_bears

I have a compactlogix controller 1769-L35E with 10 cards and I want to remove the controller and make the rack an i/o rack with a control logix processor. does rockwell make a card for this? this would be nice then i wouldn't have to replace all the cards with flex i/o.
Thanks

The issue is that CompactLogix doesn't really have a "Rack". The cards themselves are connected together. How far apart do you want the "rack" from the controller? They do make an extension cable to separate modules from the controller, but only a few feet. Why do you need to do this?

the compactlogix has limited CIP connections and I am maxed out on connections and am close on memory. we installed a new control logix for a new project and would like to take over the compactlogix I/O.

Yeah, then you're out of luck, unless you leave the exiting CompactLogix controller where it is and setup Producer/Consumer between it and the ControlLogix. The CompactLogix would still "control" the I/O, but the logic would be in the ControlLogix.

Or you could go with FlexIO, but you would still have to rewire and repurchase all your existing IO.

Last edited:
If you are already using DeviceNet elsewhere in the system, then the 1769-ADN adapter becomes a practical option for connecting the 1769 I/O to a ControlLogix.

RA has not built a ControlNet or EtherNet/IP adapter for the 1769 Compact I/O platform.

Yes. I've not done a conversion per se but have used the 1769-AENTR to connect a 1769 IO bus to another logix controller as RIO.

I've used the 1769-AENTR recently to convert a CompactLogix I/O to be controlled by a ControlLogix processor. Worked well. No issues.