Aluminum housing

Charbel

dear,

is the aluminum housing offered from Endress and Hauser die cast aluminum with protective powder coating on polyester base equivalent to epoxy coated aluminum?

which is better for corrosion protection, epoxy coated aluminum or SS316?

thank you!

I am pretty sure it is Die Cast Aluminum with powder coating.
As for which one is better for your application that depends on what environment you are using it in.
What is your application ?

Charbel,

not meaning to slam you, but this is a plc questions website.

now to your question.

what chemicals are you using?
you are asking a question that cannot be answered, its to generic.

find out what chemicals you are wanting to protect against and what chemicals you are using.

then get with the manufacturer if they did not provide a chemical restivity chart and explain to them what you are doing.

that is the only way anyone can answer your question.

stainless steel 316 is great protection in regards to a lot of chenicals, but it melts in certain types of acids.

i specified ss308 on a job and someone changed it to 316. boy what a mess. the boss was ticked at me and i showed him the drawing specs. purchasing was not happy when he left.

regards,
james

dear all,

Thank you. yes it is not a PLC question I know but did not know where to ask and since it was related to a housing for instrument so I thought this place is good to ask.

Actually the application for the instruments are in fuel system (Jet A1) for airports.

Good day,

I've answered hundreds of instrument questions, which are no more off topic than questions about motors or drives, it's just that motors or drives are on the output side of the controller, not the input side.

The standard material for most instrument housings is epoxy coated aluminum. The premium for stainless is very high, with one or two exceptions.

Siemens is used stainless sheet metal for their P300 pressure transmitter, targeted at food and pharmaceuticals. Whether a offshore oil rig would buy into that light gauge stainless, I don't know.

The problem with epoxy coated aluminum is when the coating gets scratched off. Aluminum gets eaten away by caustic, salt, and some acids. Given the heavy casting of most housings, that isn't usually a severe problem unless it's a plant washs down with caustic (soap) (food and pharmaceuticals) or a salt sea environment.

I would think aluminum would work fine in an airport environment, unless it's an aircraft carrier.