Heartbeat from Red Lion HMI to PLC

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning all. I have a DINT based "heartbeat" signal generated from my CompactLogix PLC that is read by my Red Lion G3 series HMI and then returned to the PLC. The PLC then looks for the change in heartbeat from the HMI to verify comms are valid and generate an alarm for comm loss.

This works, but I've noticed that the update rate changes drastically depending on which screen I'm on. On some screens the PLC saw a change every 0.200s but it was up to 1.5 seconds to another! That's got me a little spooked.

I am using Crimson 3.0 Gold Build 579.003. I set up two tags HeartbeatFromPLC and HeartbeatToPLC. In the Pages navigation pane, under the Global tab, I set up an On Update action: Set(HeartbeatToPLC, HeartbeatFromPLC)

What's the right/best way to write the data to HeartbeatToPLC? Is there something I should be doing to make sure my update rate is consistently towards the 0.200s end of the spectrum? Thanks in advance.

Here's the solution

FWIW, I spoke with Dan at Red Lion tech support. He suggested creating a program containing the aforementioned Set function within an infinite for/next loop. I call this program On Startup, so it runs from the get go.

The value updates at much more consistent rates. Learned something new today, so it's been a success.