Tag-based addressing

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I am working on a new project for GUI on a Red Lion HMI. I have the option of addressing using tags or direct addressing. I may not have the jargon correct. I would like to know, what is the advantage to using tags vs. direct addressing please. This also carries over to my RSLogix5000 projects as well. This probably sounds silly but I seriously do not see the advantages of using tags. Thank you.

Misery loves company

ceilingwalker,

I am working on my first Red Lion HMI program using Crimson software and have asked myself (and the forum) that same quesiton. From what I've discovered, tags are absolutely necessary for alarms and for numeric data entry as the parameters for these are inherent within the tag itself.

Also, assuming you're used to PV & PV+, things like changing the text color on a pushbutton/indicator are tag defined rather than object defined. It takes some getting used to, but it seems easier to work with this setup than other tag based packages like WonderWare.

Best regards.

Using Crimson data tags may seem like extra work in development but I can assure you that they will be worth it. Using our tags allows you to take advantage of alarms, triggers, and data logging. Also if you a referencing a PLC register/tag in 20 different places in your file and you need to change the reference you do it once at the tag and the change happens globally. If you use direct references you need to find and change them all manually. Troubleshooting is also much easier with tags as you can view each tag's usage and see where it is used in the program. This will come in handy when something needs modified a year from now and no one remembers exactly how the code was written.

I've been doing this for many years... trust me use tags :)

Thanks
Jeremy

it is easier to ask your self
should I use address 12.11 or 11.12
with out looking at a seperate list or program.
that is where tags are always better

Using Crimson data tags may seem like extra work in development but I can assure you that they will be worth it. Using our tags allows you to take advantage of alarms, triggers, and data logging. Also if you a referencing a PLC register/tag in 20 different places in your file and you need to change the reference you do it once at the tag and the change happens globally. If you use direct references you need to find and change them all manually. Troubleshooting is also much easier with tags as you can view each tag's usage and see where it is used in the program. This will come in handy when something needs modified a year from now and no one remembers exactly how the code was written.

I've been doing this for many years... trust me use tags :)

Thanks
Jeremy

You're right Jeremy. Once creating my tag all I had to do was copy/paste and then change the bit location and it was done! I'm a believer. LOL