RSLogix Version 20 and RSLinx 3.6

mdemmer

I've been having the worst time trying to get my version 20 5000 to load.

But I have to give some background information first. What I did to get myself in this situation is this:

We got a few new pieces of Equipment sent to us that required a version update from 19 to 20 on RSLogix 5000. I also had to bump up my RSView Studio to 7.00. I believe at this point I checked both to see if there was any issue and I didn't see any.

After that I was given RSNetworX version 9 (so CPR9 SR6) and RSLinx 3.6 (also CPR9 SR6). After installing these and upgrading my FactoryTalk Platform to SR6 nothing worked anymore.
I tried to install the New RSStudio ver 21 (which is to replace RSLogix 5000) and I was told not to be our AB Rep. He is now telling me that the problem exists in Version 3.6 RSLinx. DO NOT INSTALL THIS VERSION according to AB. Everything that is required is available in RSLinx 2.59 (or CPR9 SR5)

So, we have the background......what exactly is the problem?

BTW, I have on my Windows 7 machine:
Logix/Studio v21,20 & 19
RSLinx v3.60
RSNetWorx v21
FaxctoryTalk View Studio v7.0

Upgrading RSLinx and Logix v21 required that I upgrade RSNetWorx. No other issues.

OG

My issue is that it attempts to load RSLogix but the interface never shows up. When I go to application manager (task manager) in windows there is no application showing just a process component for RSLogix5000.exe (x86) and when I go to uninstall my Version 21 (now called RSstudio) it says to shut down RSLogix5000 which isn't running but is. Hope that helps a bit.

For a quick look your setup should be ok because you are running close Control Product Release of CPR9 SR6 or 5.1. I'm trying to run various software packages ranging from CPR9 SR2 to CPR9 SR6 and somewhere in there something got messed up

Last edited:
The conflict is with RSNetworx and RSLinx. Starting with version 3.59, RSLinx adopted a new EDS architecture (which greatly speeds up the registration process). RSNetworx 9 does not have the same architecture so it won't work with RSLinx 3.xx. You need to upgrade Networx to the latest version (21 i think), which also uses the new EDS architecture, in order for the two the play together again. I have the same software versions Operaghost has on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and I have no problems.