PLC Student

Billhc83

Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to PLC's, and I have recently began a course on PLC's. I have no real world experience with PLC's and do not have access to any at work atm. I am looking to put together something at home which will help me understand the functions and uses of PLC's. I am looking for something that will not break the bank but will be able to demonstrate the operation of a PLC. I have looked at the training devices available online but would rather build something of my own. I am wondering what the best/most affordable PLC would be to buy. I have been looking at a micrologix 1000 controller, but am not sure whether this is the best option or not.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Welcome to thesite
the PLC simulator on this site will probably suit you.
Buying a PLC is OK but a lot om money if you have no other use for it

Once you settle on a brand, perhaps the type they have at work, buy all the parts on EBay.

I started at home with borrowed stuff from work.

Good luck it's a lot of fun.

I know most of the PLC's used at work are A-B, but is is a mixed bag of stuff there. I'm just looking for something for some hands on type experience

Thanks for all the advice. I have purchased a Micrologix 1761-L32BWA controller from ebay to build a small trainer. I wanted to power it up to make sure it works before I get too far along but I can't seem to get it to work. Could someone please advise me on this, to my understanding the only wires needed to get power light to come on are the 3 AC wires (hot, neutral, and ground). Am I right in thinking this?

Thanks
Bill

then the ML1000 internal Power Supply is toast...🔨
Yes indeed, they are not all alike. Any Micrologix 1000 with a "B" in the last position of the model number(1761-LxxxxB) needs a 24 volt DC power supply.

Lesson Learned: Don't assume that you know the supply voltage without checking the User Manual for the specific model.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, here in Canada its 120/60hz so it should work I will contact the seller and see what comes of it. I had reviewed the manual and could not see anything I could have been doing wrong.

Thanks again

If the model that you bought was indeed 1761-L32BWA then I don't think you did anything wrong putting 120V to the L1 terminal.
You should be OK there.

Send it back to the Ebay seller if the light doesn't come on.

If it is a 1761-L32BWB, and you put 120V to the DC in terminals, then you have a lesson learned.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Yeah it's definitely the BWA version with the L1 L2/N terminals. I was assured by the seller that the unit was fully functional but that is obviously not the case. Live and learn. ;)

Thanks

i beleive that ab has a version you can download for free for this plc. look on the rockwell automation website.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/downloads.page?

i found this link, but i think its for the full blown package rather than the lite version.

maybe some one will strp in and post the correct link if i am wrong.

you can also search this site.

regards,
james

Last edited:
Take a look at Beckhoff.
Their TwinCAT software converts any Windows computer into a ultra-powerful PLC without spending a $ on it.
If you want to use some I/O's then you would need to get only a dumb bus header and the IO cards which would definitely be cheaper than buying a complete PLC.
Moreover your would be able to upgrade at any moment and get into CNC...

Good luck!

I have another question if anyone can help me with it. I have tried to connect my ML1000 to my pc. I am using a 1761-CBL-PM02 Series B cable with a serial to usb converter. When I try to setup drivers and establish a connections with RSLinx and use the auto configure function it says unable to veryify settings due to packet timeout! I am not sure what to do I have tried to install RSLinx on my desktop with windows xp it says it is not compatable and will not install. Any advice would be appreciated.