multi-condutor cable with attached ground

mrnicks

I'm looking for a cable I found on a EU machine here in the states. I can't locate the cable manufacture because there out of business. Anyway does anyone know if carol or belden makes a cable that may have mutiple 18-24awg conductors and has a seperate 18awg ground attached to it. It looks like a RG-6 with ground. I've been having a hard time locating anything close to it.

I am sure that Beldon, Carol, or Houston Wire & Cable has one that will work. If you can narrow down the categories, it will help.

How many conductors (besides the ground)?
What is the voltage range?
Is it shielded?
Is it a control cable, a power cable, or a communications cable?
Is it a cable- tray type, or a machine cable, or oil-resistant, or flame-resistant?

How many conductors (besides the ground)?Doesn't matter
What is the voltage range?Also Doesn't matter, 300v would be fine.
Is it shielded?Yes
Is it a control cable, a power cable, or a communications cable?Control Cable
Is it a cable- tray type, or a machine cable, or oil-resistant, or flame-resistant?[/QUOTE]machine cable

I would be happy with just a name of the type of cable. I haven't seen it here in the states. Only on machines from Europe. I was curious if anyone has used it. Remember it has a ground conductor not in with the other wires but mounted on the outside. :confused:

RG6_Bare_Ground_Coaxial_Cable_black.jpg

Are you talking about something like this? Literally, dual RG6 with ground.

Or are you looking for shielded conductors with a ground.

Yes it's like that. Not coax. But a multi conductor cable and then a stranded ground wire connected to it like the one showed in the picture.

Yes it's like that. Not coax. But a multi conductor cable and then a stranded ground wire connected to it like the one showed in the picture.
Do the other non-ground conductors then have a separate shield that is not connected to the ground wire?

...The "ground" wire says to me "messenger wire," especially if it's steel instead of copper. In my Google search, I also found many instances of fiber optic strands being bundled with a steel messenger wire.

-rpoet

Yeah, we call that a catenary wire, for supporting the cable whilst being suspended.

I have used multicore cable with catenary wire from Nexans. This cable is specifically for use with crane pendants and has two catenary wires each side for added support, but it can be used for other jobs as well. They do 5 core up to 30 core and 300V rated.

Unless they were suspending cables around this EU machine, and you need to do the same, you wouldn't necessarily have to go with this type again, would you?
If this is indeed the type of cable you're referring to.

If possible, maybe a photo of the cable would help?

G.

Pendant Cable.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you all are so close. The cat5 cable is the closest except the wire was copper. On the machine I seen it on they used the wire to ground enclosures and devices. I'm pretty sure it's for ground and not support of strength. It's funny no one knew about this cable quickly. I've been searching for a while now. I would like to use it to ground enclosures that only have small control wire cables going to them. And I would really just like to know what the hell it is. And I believe the cable I experienced had a screen and was foil wrapped.

Wow, you all are so close. The cat5 cable is the closest except the wire was copper. On the machine I seen it on they used the wire to ground enclosures and devices. I'm pretty sure it's for ground and not support of strength. It's funny no one knew about this cable quickly. I've been searching for a while now. I would like to use it to ground enclosures that only have small control wire cables going to them. And I would really just like to know what the hell it is. And I believe the cable I experienced had a screen and was foil wrapped.

Can you contact the machine builder? They'd be the ones to give you a definitive answer.

-rpoet

If the cable you've got has a braided shield outside a sheath carrying the multicores and inside another sheath, you may have CY cable. If the outermost sheath is a clear sheath then the cable type is SY . Generally both these types have an earth cable inculded in the multi-cores. The braiding is not useable as an earth conductor or PE but is required to be grounded at 1 end at least.
Paul