S7 and Rockwell stuff

PLC Pie Guy

Hello to you all.
I have a quick question regarding Siemens software installed on a machine with Rockwell stuff. My laptop is a win7 64 bit. I have pretty much every Rockwell product installed on it. I also run a service pack 3 virtual machine for my 32 bit stuff. My activations are all located on the win7 side of things and I am (was) able to see them all on the SP3 virtual machihne through Factory Talk Activation Manager as long as I was connected to my wireless network. A project engineer from another plant gave me S7 to install for some new equipment we are getting. I installed it on the win7 side. Since then my Facrtory Talk Activation Manager on SP3 is unable to find any activations. I am wondering if the Siemens software may somehow be conflicting my Rockwell Software. Also is the S7 software good to go on win7 64 bit or should I have put this on my virtual machine as well.

Thanks

I'd strongly recommend keeping Siemens software on a different machine than any of the Rockwell software; I am personally running a Win7 64-bit Host with two VMware Workstation Guests, one for Rockwell and one for Siemens; the Guest OS choice is yours and it depends of the intended to be used software support environment.
As long as the two "competitors" are virtually separated you should be okay; I have been using this configuration for more than three years without any issues.

Keeping the packages on separate VM's will work, and is probably th best solution. But I also have computers where there is Siemens, Rockwell and Omron software installed and have not had problems.

Tahnks for the advice. I should have asked before I did it. So now that I have my Siemens software installed on my win7 machine and its activations, can I simply uninstall the program and re-install on a new VM. Should my new VM be 32 bit?

Make sure you are retrieving the activation key prior to un-install!
As for the Siemens Guest OS, it depends of what support your software revision level requires; I wouldn't install a 64-bit system unless it is a Host machine; you should be fine with 32-bit Guest OSs.