Alternatives

Buzzen

:confused:Has anyone had any good luck with Non-Allen Bradley touchscreens? I am on a Ethernet Logix 5000 platform. Looking for alternatives to Allen Bradley without inheriting headaches.

ProFace (quite cheap HW and SW) and Siemens MP or TP (cost more, but Win CC Flexible is great) are both very good, from experience.

Red Lion G300 serie is quite powerful and can do functions that most HMI can't (FTP, web server....). I have never used them with AB though but with Siemens and Telemacanique and it worked very well in all cases.

Last edited:
Kolyur or Mark how reliable are the Red Lions? Are they as robust as the Allen Bradley's? Kolyur thanks for the link it was very informative.

I have found the standard G3 units to be very reliable. We don't use them in a particularly harsh environment (light industry), but really the only problems we've had are a few burned-out backlights. The Red Lion rep told me the other day that they have switched to LED backlighting so I don't anticipate this being a problem in the future.

I would stay away from the Kadet models if you are concerned about reliability. Some have had good experiences with them, others not. Keep in mind that the Kadet hardware is third party, made in China, whilst the standard G3's are designed and built in the USA.

+1 on the ProFace units... we use them in some of our mobile units (replacing original GE DisplayStation 2000s). Lots of heat, vibration and EMF from VFDs controlling multiple large motors, all run by a substantial 480V 3ph diesel generator. Rugged, easy to work with, and haven't killed one yet.;)

As far as the Red Lion we have units they have been running for years with no problem. I currently reused 3 old ethernet units that had been sitting a long time. The old units use Crimson 2.

Regarding the reliability of the red lion g3's. I have several that have been working for years in a washdown environment with a very harsh sanitation crew. I also have about 20 in dry environments. All the ones I have touched in washdown environments have been flawless. I have replaced a few in the dry after 10+ years of use. I havent ever encountered one that outright died. Everything I've seen is backlight or LCD issues.

I have developed for red lion g3, panelview, and panelview component. I, by far, think the red lion software is the best hmi development software I've touched. I have proface and Mitsubishi software on my short list to touch. Honestly if it can be done, I feel I can do it better and faster on the g3.