Cool project question

icecursor

Hey everyone!

So I have looked up and down MANY different pages (spent about 6 hours last night) looking for an answer.

So, I would like to see what kind of hardware I would need to build a system, probably a micrologix 1200 or 1500, that would control an LED Globe ( like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQhBm_EgB0w ) and that would respond to an audio signal (ie music).

Now, I've looked around, but still not sure. The 1794-IJ2 flex I/O module from AB is the closest thing to what I'm looking for. It's a frequency I/O card. So, using this, I would look for frequency and compare (IE less than 400 hz = Blue light is ON) and so on and so forth through the music.

I found a forum that they are talking about something similar to it, but that's based off of voltage. That means, the parts of the song that are louder, are recognized, as opposed to the frequency in the music like the range of a bass guitar VS a trumpet idea ( http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=22126 ).

Is this even possible, or am I just dreaming?

Thanks for the input!

Phil

Last edited:
So, as I was thinking about it more, it's basic function would be a visual equalizer that the PLC is controlling... With the music as an input.

Phil

Is this even possible, or am I just dreaming?
There were electronic devices that controlled lights based on frequency about 50 years ago. If the 1794-IJ2 module can pull out the dominant frequency (or ranges of frequencies) from music, then you should be able to write PLC logic to control different outputs. It seems to me that your outputs might need to be the analog type, so that as each frequency in the music is louder or softer, your light becomes brighter or dimmer.

If you want to see how commercial electronic devices control lights based on music, search here for "LightORama", "Christmas lights", or go to the LightORama web site.

http://www1.lightorama.com/

Last edited:
Hey,
So, ya... I have seen the lightorama site... But it just seems that you hook it up and it does just about everything for you. And if I'm right, it looks like it's based on amplitude (like the spikes of the input are the steps and the louder it is, the more light is put out) as opposed to frequency.

I think the LightORama uses both frequency ranges and the amplitude of that frequency. I have seen videos where different instruments cause a certain string of lights to go on, and then the brightness of that string is dependent on the amplitude of that frequency. That causes the lights to pulse or flash in time with the music.

Yes the LightORama does everything needed to flash lights on and off. You would not need a PLC. But if your goal is to simulate a LightORama, then it would help to find out how it works.

Last edited:
As Lancie indicates, such devices have been around for a long time; much longer than the recently popular LightORama. Try doing a search for Color Organ and see what you find out. I have personally built the circuitry for frequency/intensity control and frequency/intensity chase; probably still have the schematics for it, but it was so long ago, it would take some digging. I am sure that you could find them out there, though.

+1 on the idea that the best way to implement this is to have a thorough understanding of how something commercially available works. Since these devices have resurfaced in popularity, it seems like an expensive proposition to control this using a PLC. Trust me, I actually had the same idea a few years ago, and abandoned it once I started pricing hardware.

Oooh, color "organs", how 60s. However this is a new twist since the original color organs only hand a few frequency band pass filters to turn on the lights. There were no microcontrollers then.

I wouldn't use a PLC because the weight would be too high. I would use a small microcontroller and layout a board that is as light as possible. I would use surface mount because it is lighter than through hole. I would try not to use any metal that could make the globe wobble. I would not wire directly to the leds as shown. I would run all the wires down around the axis of rotation and then up the sides where they are supported by the outer ring. Loose wires don't work well in rotating or vibrating environments.

It will never work on a PLC as they are too slow for this.
stick with the answer in the first second ARM ATMEGA328
look for arduino, easy program by language C.

I use LightoRama software/hardware. It has many different ways to detect the music. For example, one routine will look for the Beat of a song. However the best way to do it, is manually. You tell it what lights to turn on and when based on what song you are playing. It takes time, no doubt about it, but the results are amazing and personalized.

Yes there are controllers you can buy at lowes, but they are not set up for YOUR lights. I don't believe there is any automatic system out there, that will detect a song, and control your lights in a way that maximizes the effects of your lights.

LOR is really the best way to go to have an unbelievable light show. I wouldn't even think about how a PLC would do it.

And what is wrong with the link to plans, hardware, and software attached to the video? Seriously.

---
On another note, I need to cut down a tree in my yard, but all I have is a purple highlighter. How can I make that work?

A PLC is going to be FAR too slow for this application unless you're looking to do something very simple with the globe. As others have mentioned, you're going to need a microcontroller. I prefer Parallax Propellers myself but they are a bit unconventional in their architecture.

A microphone, a few low, medium, high pass filters, or depending on the number of lamps required, and a triac switching system, you are good to go, way cheaper than any plc, microcontroller, built many in my younger days