Updating an old SCADA/HMI - determining parameters

bencha06

So I've been tasked with updating a small water filtration station (~200 tags) to our new SCADA software, IGSS.

The problem is that this entire station has basically no documentation, and I somehow need to determine the exact parameters of the entire system.

It uses an AB SLC-500 connected to a PanelView via RS232, and a single PLC via ethernet. The PC is (I think) running RSView for HMI. The one resource I have is all the files for the station, including those for the PLC, the PanelView, and the RSView. First of all, is it even possible to update only the PC software without messing with the rest of the system?

Secondly, the company hasn't even bought any software yet and, before we do, I need to determine which, if any, software I would need to be able to maybe go through the code and try and reverse engineer the system. Or is it even possible? I'm guessing I'll need RSLogix 500, and maybe FTView would be helpful as well? Or is there an easier way?

This whole thing is really just a huge mess and I feel like I'm way in over my head, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You will need RSLINX OEM software for IGSS to communicate with your PLC's.
Post a list of all of your hardware and software you have. That will determine what programming software to purchase.
The more information you post, the more help you will receive.

Hmm, I was under the impression that IGSS has its own driver for the PLC. Fortunately I do have RSLINX, along with RSLogix 500. That is the entirety of my software library at the moment, unfortunately.

The PLC in question is an SLC 5/05, and the SCADA software was created in RSView. That is all the information I was given, unfortunately.

For the PanelView terminal, go find the exact part number on the back and post that.

'RSView' can actually be several different editions of software. On the PC, see exactly where the Start menu leads you for Rockwell Software products. You might be looked at RSView32, or RSView ME, or FactoryTalk View.

Post the file extensions (like *.MER, or *.APA, etc) for the files that you do have for the HMI.

Thanks. The PV is a 2711-T5A16L1. The program is RSView32, and the project file is a .rsv. For the PanelView, I have .PBA, and .PVA. Would FTView ME Studio be compatible, or do I need the SE? Or do I need to try and find a copy of RSView32?

Last edited:
Do you have documented copies of the PLC programs?
You can get useful tag information from the PLC programs. A set of wiring diagrams will also be helpful.
To convert the programs over to IGSS without touching the existing software and hardware you will need RSView 32 development software to retrieve the tags from the tag database, RSLinx OEM for your new software to communicate with your PLC's and training on RS View and IGSS since you felt like you were in over your head. Panelbuilder 32 is the software you need to upload and download the Panelview programs.
You might be able to convert the software over to IGSS without the RS View 32 development software if you have enough documentation on your project.
Since AB says there are no planes to retire RS View 32 I personally would buy the development software for RSView 32 and support your project that way.
Look for a replacement Panelview. Search the forums for advice on the Panelview replacement.