Old but Gold (PLC5 Programming issue)

Indiaum

Hello ppl!

First sorry about my english and thank you for your attention.

I'm kinda lost. A friend lent me a couple of racks with plc5/15 and plc5/25 with 1785-KE cards. But i have no clue how to connect them to a PC...There's a port "RS232-C Computer" on the 1785-KE, but i can't find how to wire the cable...Does anyone know how do i'll be able to programm those dinossaurs?

Here's a picture:

PLC5-15 and friends.jpg

Last edited:
For the PLC it's a 9 pin male "D" type plug & I think it's PLC pins 2 & 3 to PC pins 3 & 2 & pin 5 to pin 5 (straight through). Unless you have a serial port on a PC or laptop you'll need a USB to serial convertor. Software wise you'll need a copy of RSLogix5 & RSLinx.

FYI, the 9 pin port on your PLC5/15 is not a RS232 port its a DH+ port in parallel with the 3 pin DH+ port see PDF below.

Also see the posted manual for your 1785-KE module it has all the required info for you to get connected.

Hmm, no...should i? aren't they connected through backplane?

Yes you do if you want to communicate with the PLC. They are not connected thru the backplane.

Once you have all the wiring and module configured make sure you setup RSLinx with the proper device type then click auto-configure, see picture below. Your comm port may vary.

Devicetype.png

Last edited: