RSlogix 5000 displaying scientific notation

dbradford

I am programming a controllogix 5000 and need to scale an analog input from a vacuum transmitter (4-20mA) but need to read the result in scientific notation. How do I display the result in scientific notation? My transmitter range for the 4-20mA is -1 to .6 Bar. Thanks

Use SCP ( scale with parameters) instruction, either block or AOI.
If you do not have function block option, let me know i will direct you to download SCP Aoi.

Last edited:
What are you displaying the value on ? Are you talking about the display format in RSLogix 5000 itself ?

As far as I know, RSLogix 5000 tries to give you 5 decimal places, but switches to scientific notation if the value is very small.

Unless it is a low level vacuum transducer then most high vacuum transducers are not linear. Some will fit the curve to 1V/decade or to a logarithmic scale. In any of those cases a simple SCP is not going to give you satisfactory results. Scaling and linearizing a high end vacuum transducer can be a PITA. Working out the curve fit is the hard part but once you have that it can usually be programmed with a few LIM/CPT rungs. Can you provide more information about the transducer you are using?

When you say "need to read the result in scientific notation", where do you need to see this?

I am assuming you have your analog input scaled to Floating Point data on the module itself, so there will be no need for a SCP AOI.

So the REAL value will be displayed in RSLogix5000 in the Analog Input module's tag : eg. Local:4:I.Ch0Data

You cannot configure that database tag element to be displayed in scientific notation as a permanent thing, it can only be temporarily changed to scientific notation on the "Monitor Tags" view, but will revert back to "Float" display view when you re-open the tag database viewer.

And you can't create an Alias Tag for that input data either, it will inherit the default display "style" from the base tag element.

What you can do though, is MOV the input data tag element to a new tag that you configure to display in scientific notation.

All of the above is academic, however, and only discusses how the tag data is displayed in RSLogix5000. None of the display options actually change the way the data is stored, that will always be in the IEEE 32-bit floating-point format.

So my opening question remains - you say "need to read the result in scientific notation", where do you need to see this? Seeing is a display format issue, not a storage issue.

If you need to see reals in normalized notation withing RSLogix 5000, go to the tag list (wherever it is scoped), select edit tags, find your tags, make sure the "Style" column is visible, and select style "Exponential".

If the "Style" column isn't visible, right click in the column headings, select toggle column, and turn it on.

If you need to see reals in normalized notation withing RSLogix 5000, go to the tag list (wherever it is scoped), select edit tags, find your tags, make sure the "Style" column is visible, and select style "Exponential".

If the "Style" column isn't visible, right click in the column headings, select toggle column, and turn it on.

As can be seen in the picture, that option is not available (greyed out) for members of Module-Defined Tags.

2013-09-20_105107.jpg

As can be seen in the picture, that option is not available (greyed out) for members of Module-Defined Tags.

Style isn't available under Edit Tags, but it is under the Monitor Tab.

Stu....

As Stu says, you can change it in the tag listing under Monitor for Module-defined tabs, but that is only effective when looking at the tag listing. If you change it under Edit, the exponential form will show up everywhere the tag is used.

Just more Rockwell fun and games.

As Stu says, you can change it in the tag listing under Monitor for Module-defined tabs, but that is only effective when looking at the tag listing. If you change it under Edit, the exponential form will show up everywhere the tag is used.

Just more Rockwell fun and games.

You cannot change the "default" (Edit Tab) style for a tag created from a Module-Defined data-type, period. You do not have access to the Module-Defined data-types to modify them.

You can change the "default" (Edit Tab) style for a tag created from a User-Defined data-type, but only by editing the UDT declaration. This can only be done offline, and will therefore require a download.

What we don't know from this discussion is the reason that the OP wants his data presented in Scientific Notation, or where he wants it that way. Changing the Style in RSLogix5000 does not change what is stored in memory, it just presents it to us in a different way. Reading this data into another machine will still read the same bit patterns in the 32-bit REAL tag regardless of its display "style".