factorytalk view studio problem

2000gt4.6

I am having an issue with factorytalk view. I have received a file from the OEM on the machine I am working on (full file, not runtime) and I now need to make some changes to it. I created new file, imported the .med file, and the project opens up fine. I then reset the communication settings up, using the same name for the PLC as the OEM did (according to what they show in the buttons/tags in the rest of the program).

After doing all this, I cannot test the application or create a runtime. If I click test it throws up the window with the 2 bars and then it just goes away. If I click create runtime it asks me where to save it/name it etc and after clicking save again it starts for a second then says "unable to save the project runtime". I have searched on here and tried deleting the files in the /tag etc folder and rebooting, no luck.

I tried a brand new project (nothing in it, no windows etc) and it will work. I am getting the feeling that there is something else in the project that is not set/saved correctly? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Would there be a way to simply move all of the windows/buttons/etc etc over to a different project (basically copy the project/tags etc). This one is pretty big and I need to make a tiny change (add one button).

Did the OEM send you a *.APA Archive file, or did they just send you a zip file with all the project folders and files ?

Archive files are the best way to go; they include all of the FT Local Directory information, the comms shortcut definitions, and all of the project files. If you can get the OEM to create one and send it, that might be your best bet.

Which version of FTView Studio was the project created in, and which version are you running ?

A couple of suggestions from the RA Knowledgebase (AID 46949, TechConnect required) include making sure there is not a space at the end of the project name, making sure there is a Startup Display defined for the project, and making sure the RSLinx Enterprise configuration window is not open in the background.

After four hours of fighting it I pulled the cables and yanked the PC back to the shop to call tech connect.... and it promptly proceeded to work perfectly. I have no idea why pulling the e net cable did this but it did. Went back out and I can create runtimes even with the cable back in... crazy Rockwell software.

BTW tech connect told me the same thing about the .APA vs .med file... the OEM sent me the .med

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's crazy Rockwell Software in this instance. You didn't restore the application in the correct manner.

I don't think it's crazy Rockwell Software in this instance. You didn't restore the application in the correct manner.

IDK, pulling the E net cable out let it work correctly, I still don't have the .apa file. In other words, it started working either on its own and the comm fail just happened to happen at the same time, OR it was the cause, as the program is working now in the PV restoring from the .med file. Whatever works I guess :)