Red Lion HMI Crimson 3.0 - Password on a button?

Dippers

Hello,

I have been reading through the manual for Crimson 3.0 and I know its possible to make a page "password protected" but is there anyway to put a "password" on a button? I want the page to be shown but when the button is touched/pressed i would like a dialog box to popup to enter a password to be able to use that button. Can this be done?

I hope i made sense.

Thanks in advance.

welcome to the site
It can be done two ways
you can set a number of password levels and then allow access when that level is entered.
or you can use a hidden button to look at a PLC register and compare that value. This is sometimes easier to change

OK. I got the dialog box to popup to login when the button is touched and the button is an "Enable " button which turns on a plc register.

The way i had the dialog to popup was by adding the logon action under the action tab for that button.

I basically want to enter a password for the button to be used... So when the user pushes that button you have to enter login to use that button not the page. Do you think the way i did it above will work?

The best way to do this is by configuring security on the item the button is controlling. They you will be prompted to log in on demand.

Thanks
Jeremy

The best way to do this is by configuring security on the item the button is controlling. They you will be prompted to log in on demand.

Thanks
Jeremy

Jeremy, Thanks for your reply.

OK. So your saying to add the protection to the tag? As of right now I have a tag that writes to the PLC when the "Enable" button is pressed. The settings i have set for that button is the following:

BUTTON TAB-
Operation: Custom
Control: (greyed out)

Protection: Hard Locked
Enable: Tag - System_Writes.Disable_A
Remote: Enabled
Maintain Aspect: Yes

ACTION TAB -
Log On User

Now i do not have "live" data so i cant see if this configuration of the button will work... Meaning i am not sure when i push this button and it asks me to login and i login will it "Enable" System A and write to that data bit to turn ON.

This is setup wrong correct?

Thinking about it now I should remove the "Action" from the ACTION TAB and set the button as the following:

BUTTON TAB-
Operation: Turn On
Control: Tag - System_Writes.Disable_A

Protection: Hard Locked
Enable: Tag - System_Writes.Disable_A
Remote: Enabled
Maintain Aspect: Yes

And this will ask me to login to use this operation correct?

Because i have been setting up the security but i am trying to figure out how to edit the User Rights 1-8...
I have also been reading through the manual and i am not sure on how to get the dialog box for "Login on Demand"

Last edited:
I now have a PLC with those bits in there now so i think i have it figured out now. Thanks for the help folks!