Omron CX-Programmer allocated memory

Hi Guys,

Been coming to this forum for a while for PLC controls questions and finally had to start a thread for a question I had regarding Omron PLCs. The majority of my work experience had been with Allen-Bradley and Siemens but this is my first major project using Omron.

I am currently working on a project upgrading an old Omron CV1000 controller to a CJ2M. I am also adding a couple axis of servo motion to the existing machine.

The question I have is regarding the DM memory. Is there a way I can view the DM memory that is currently being used? (In Siemens you can view memory that has already been allocated) The symbols table contains no tags for DM addresses but they are being used throughout the code in the form of block moves and math calculations. I need to find an open block of memory (around 600 words) to accomplish my upgrade. This is a large program already and there is very little documentation for the existing code. Also, the usage of the DM memory appears to be fairly sporadic ranging from 0x to 4xxxx.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I think you can do a cross-reference report to get the current usage for the data memory area. You can find this under the 'view' menu. Select 'detailed usage' and 'D' for memory area.

26-09-2013 5-13-24 PM.jpg

welcome to the site
select MEMORY
then 'D'
you can monitor / write / store
I will post a snapshot of the SYMBOLS (GLOBAL) also

dm.JPG

Please note that you do need to specify what type of DM it is.
UINT (unsigned integer)
similar to AB

ALSO
the Lable tabs will sort for you this one was done by 'Data Type'

global.jpg

The tried the memory method earlier. The problem, i think, was there are no symbols for the D memory being used. I could monitor the current state of the memory at a specific address but just because it read zero didn't mean it wasn't being used.

The cross reference report was the best way of seeing what memory locations were being used in the code.

Thanks for your help.