Path problems?

FluxCap

I have a PV+ 1000 pointed to a CompactLogix over a pair of MDS Mercury 5800 radios. Worked fine on the bench with dummy loads connected to the radios a few feet apart. Now I'm on site and having difficulty getting the radios to link. Base station is on an FPSO with 70' of 1/2" heliax between the pole mounted omni. Subscriber omni antenna is on a 10' pole with about 20' of 1/2" heliax between the antenna and radio. There is a clear line of sight between the two antennas with nothing but 1 km of open water between them. Subscriber will only itermittently link to base. Best indicated RSSI has been -82dbm while they were linked. Both radios indicate + 13 dbm output power. Don't have anyway of checking SWR. Waiting on parts to move the base station radion closer to the antenna. Don't have any recent experience at this frequency. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.