plc selection

Murtaza ilyas

Hi i am making a bottle filling machine as a project using plc.I want to use plc to control motors,proximity sensors,solenoid valves and etc.Since I have never actually worked on plc so, I don't know what type of plc to use .So please can someone help me as to which plc to select that is easy to use and not costly.

Hi.

You can start with Allen bradley Micrologix 1000 PLC. its programming software is free. you can download it from their official website

IMHO opinion, choosing a PLC should not be based on if the programming software is free or not.
There are many brands of small PLCs. Maybe you can find out which ones are typical in your area. Rockwell MicroLogix 1100 could be one. Siemens S7-1200 could be another.

From what I have seen, the manuals and user instructions for the Delta PLCs are very scarce, very sparse, and hard to read. If you have a Delta expert programmer available to help, then go for it.

As for me, I like to read and study and figure it out for myself, and the Delta user manuals do not allow that very well. There could be some very good Delta manauals - in the Japanese language! Maybe they give you some better manuals when you buy the PLCs and I/O modules, as U.S. Senator Nancy Pelosi said, a case where you have to buy it to find out what is in it.

Last edited:
check Beckhoff, their software is extremely flexible (as it is based in codesys) and free.
They are PC based in most of their configurations, therefore you can test everything in your own PC without even worrying on buying the PLC at the beginning.
You can use Ethernet in most of their controllers (easy set up and no worries on cables).

Thank you very much for your suggestions.Can you please tell me about some other PLCs which have good reading material with their model number excluding siemens and Allen bradley.

Speed, Speed, Speed???

How fast is your bottling line? Aren't most bottling lines running at a very high speed?

All of your components should be chosen with this as a major consideration.

Speed, Speed, Speed???

How fast is your bottling line? Aren't most bottling lines running at a very high speed?

+1 !!

Some very cheap small PLC's are available but they usually have limited power. (processing speed etc)

Where are you from?
That does have an impact because of availability..

I would suggest having a look at the Idec products.
For your application the FT1A Smartaxis.

Superb software, which allows you to easily evolve over to more advanced plc's,
And the literature and help files are great.

I will note that i am biased as i have chosen to use mostly Idec, switching from Moeller(Easy 800), Schneider (Zelio/M340) and Siemens (Logo/S7200/S71200).

But they might be hard to come by in your region.

Speed, Speed, Speed???

The speed of the machine will be not much because I am only making a prototype.So I will not require a hifi PLC.

Where are you from?
That does have an impact because of availability..

I would suggest having a look at the Idec products.
For your application the FT1A Smartaxis.

Superb software, which allows you to easily evolve over to more advanced plc's,
And the literature and help files are great.

I will note that i am biased as i have chosen to use mostly Idec, switching from Moeller(Easy 800), Schneider (Zelio/M340) and Siemens (Logo/S7200/S71200).

But they might be hard to come by in your region.

Yes there is a little bit of availability problem.