Burkert 8605

XtremeIN

Hello all,
To start with, it has been along time since I have hung out here and I am rather glad to be back. Its a long story and I will spare the details. Anyway, I am using a Burkert type 8605 controller on a 6223 proportional valve. I was told by a coworker is "has" to have a sourcing 4-20mA signal. looking over the data sheet it has the following pin out:
1 : + 12-24 VDC
2 : GND
3 : Standard signal GND​
4 : Standard signal +
Currently we are using a sourcing analog card and wiring it with +24VDC to #1, 0VDC to #2 and analog signal to #4.
If I switch to a sinking analog card cant I just wire the signal to #3?

Thank you,
Micheal

http://www.burkert.com/products_data/datasheets/DS8605-standard-EU-EN.pdf

It does not look like it has a "sourcing" input (*):
http://www.burkert.com/products_data/manuals/MA8605-Standard-EU-ML.pdf

Simply:
Return of 4-20 mA signal (aka "GND") on terminal 3.
Input of 4-20 mA signal on terminal 4.

*: "sourcing" as in the controller provides 24V out for a transmitter.

edit: You should provide 24V on terminal 1 from a direct 24V source, not from a "sourcing" analog output card. The controller needs up to 2A to supply to the valve, and you cannot count on that an analog output card can supply that much. Also, the GND on terminal 2 should not be mixed with the 4-20 mA return signal on terminal 4.

Last edited:
Jesper,
Thank you for your reply. The 24VDC on terminal 1 is from a power supply, not the analog card. The ground is not mixed with the return signal either. I did not know that terminal 3 was a return signal from the unit.
Thank you,
Micheal