Mitsubishi vs. Automation Direct

XtremeIN

Hello all,
I have been tasked with updating and adding new features to one of our machines (medical device OEM). We are currently using an Automation Direct 205 series PLC. We have been using AD for years and do not have a issue with them. The size of the program has grown to the point it will no longer fit within the 260 CPU. I have been tasked with rewriting it for either a AD Do-More CPU or move to Mitsubishi FX3 platform. I have never worked with MB before. We had a local dealer come out and look over our system and presented us with some options. Price is going to be about the same. It basically comes down to programming. How much different is the GX Works? How long would one expect the learning curve to be? Does one software have major advantages over the other?
I feel it may be a matter of personal choice, like Mustang vs. Camaro. Thought I would ask those that may have used both. Any input would be great.

Thank you,
Micheal

I can say from a software standpoint I have found GX works 2 to be excellent and very user friendly. The FX3U platform is very powerful as well. I can't speak to the AD stuff so much, as I have used it for troubleshooting some equipment we have purchased. Anything we build here, I use strictly Mitsubishi controls.

Hope this helps,

Dave

I have programmed Mitsubishi FX3U PLC before using GX Programmer. if you use programmer it is not as user friendly as GX WORKS. I would suggest you pay attention to that if you chose to go the Mitsubishi way.

Also, there is a certain "CPU version" sticker on the side of the FX3U that have to match a certain value or above to work with certain versions of GX Works 2.

Just a heads up

Hope this helps

I have programmed Mitsubishi FX3U PLC before using GX Programmer. if you use programmer it is not as user friendly as GX WORKS. I would suggest you pay attention to that if you chose to go the Mitsubishi way.

Also, there is a certain "CPU version" sticker on the side of the FX3U that have to match a certain value or above to work with certain versions of GX Works 2.

Just a heads up

Hope this helps

I believe you mean GX Developer, and yes I agree, GX Developer was not nearly as user friendly as GX Works 2.

As far as the CPU sticker, do you know the particulars on this? I have never heard that before, in fact, I was told GX Works 2 was backwords compatible.

I have a machine with an old FX2-16MS on it, (which is far older than any FX3U). I can read, write, monitor, etc. with GX Works 2 with no issues.

Dave