Generic OPC Pointer

liberati

I am working on making a generic RSLogix 5000 application and Factory Talk View ME Application.

What I mean by this is that I want to make general functions/subroutines etc in my free time that I can re-use for future projects and the same thing with FT View ME.

So I have already made a RSLogix template and factory talk view template as well. The thing is I would like to have all the tag names to be the same as in {[PLC(whatever slot number)]name_of_generic_tag_here}

The generic tag names aren't a problem it is the [PLC_slot_number] that is because it is based off the name that we originally gave it.

I don't want to use the same project over and over again I would like to be able to just export what parts of it that I need and be able to re-use them without changing a bunch of tag names.

I believe I can do this by messing with the OPC Server name ( I think) but I am new to OPC servers and am currently working on something and would hate to kill the connections/server that I have already made.

Is this something that anyone has tried before and if so how well did it work?

Once again thanks for any input and advice
JustAGreenHorn

Can you export your OPC Server tags into a CSV file? Then on your next project do a fine/replace on the CSV file with the new PLC name. Then import that resulting csv file into your new OPC server configuration.

That was one of the ways that I have found while looking.

While that is an option I would rather there be little to no over head other than exporting and importing the functions just because the people that this is going to help are the ones that don't know how to set up projects etc. This way they can get minor training and then will have the tools/templates to use as opposed to having to go through all the details. This isn't an issue on small projects but for big projects it is hard to make it easily accessible for lesser trained people to work with.

I will use this if there are no other alternatives but I will keep looking.

If I find a better option I will post it.

Thanks