Cheap Programming Cable for Temp Cntrl.

JoseM

Does anyone know where can I find a communication cable -- in the affordable side of the spectrum -- to upload/download parameters from the Yamatake SDC family of temperature controllers.

It's over $300 if I want to purchase it directly from Yamatake. I was hoping for a different 3rd party vendor or perhaps the schematic to build it myself.

On page 51, of the SDC35/36, Single Loop Controller User's Manual for Installation & Configuration (CP-SP-1150E), a diagram shows the wiring of the communications port as RS-485.

The manual for the Smart Loader Package SLP-C35 Smart Loader Package for the SDC15/25/26/35/36 Single Loop Controller -User's Manual, CP-UM-5290E, shows the PC's port as a USB port.

That says they're using RS-485 as the hardware layer comm link.
I only scanned the manual and did not see any reference to Modbus, only reference to .csv files, so the protocol that is Yamatake using is an unknown.

If you're willing to mess around trying to decrypt their protocol and you need a cable, Google

UBS RS-485 converter FTDI chipset

I've found that the FTDI chipsets work well. FTDI is one of the few that registers their drivers with Microsoft.

I bought one the other day for less than $30. The dongle has a DB-9 but it came with a screw terminal adapter that mates with the DB-9.