Red Lion CSMSTR Raw Serial Port>>Veeder Root

Hi, I am trying to write a program to read Tank Inventory from an Incon TS-750 fuel system that has an RS-232 output with Veeder Root. I have attached the page that details this parameter. This is my first time programming serial and I'm lost. I've read some of the other posts about programming the raw serial port. Below is the code I have come up with so far to read the tank volume and write to a tag:

cstring maintank1;
portprint(2,"1i20101");
maintank1=portinput(2,1,2,300,41);
MainTanks.Tank1Level=maintank1;

My first suggestion is to put this code into two separate programs. One program to request the data and another to read the data in. The reason for this is that the program which reads the data needs to be run OnUpdate of the comms port so that we dont' miss any incoming data.

You will also want to run an if statement which checks to make sure the string is not null before displaying. This will keep an empty read from blanking out your real value.

Thanks
Jeremy