Panelbuilder 1400E & WinXP

Is there a trick to getting Panelbuilder 1400E version 5.15 to work with Windows XP? The install goes well but when I try to open a demo sample file an error message appears. The message says a path could not be found... and the path is not in english fonts.

A quick install on a Win98 machine went well. Trouble is none of my real PCs use Windows 98 anymore.

Thank you for your time and help;
Frank

Have you loaded windows(tm) updates?

KB828741 is probably the culprit. try uninstalling this hotfix and all should be well. This is a recent Microsoft update (April 04) and while it fixes some security holes...it breaks some old technology apps as well.

I'm running Win2k and I just tried to open a PV 1400e app. with no luck.

What happens when you try to open an app?

I think I am dealing with the same problem.

XP & 2000

You may be correct, we've seen this same issue under both versions of Windows(tm). The KB# hotfix issue is the same for both OS's.

Last edited:
Are you a Rockwell Automation employee?

Is there any chance for a patch from Rockwell Software/Allen Bradley? Our IT people have an automatic update system, and if I manually uninstall a hotfix, I am pretty sure it will automatically detect and re-install.

I'm not a Rockwell employee

We recently had this problem and got help from our local representative. Only, after spending many man-hours trying to figure
out what we had done to our PC's.

I don't know of any current plans for a patch. I do know it's related to the obsolete version of the Watcom Database engine within PanelBuilder. This is now a Sybase product at version 9.xx, the version within Panelbuilder is version 3.xx

Dean Colwell
Controls Project Engineer
Fori Automation, Inc.

I uninstalled KB828741 and I am now able to open my PB1400e apps. Now to see if the network deployed, automatic updates detects and tries to re-install it.

Thanks a lot, I probably would not have noticed this until I needed PB1400e.

Ok I'll bite.....how exactly do you uninstall this hotfix #KB828741
I haven't been able to and IS had the laptop for a couple hours and couldn't uninstall it.

Sorry for bringing up this old thread but I just ran into the problem yesterday and didn't want to make a new one.

KB828741 is the hotfix from MS that causes the issue.
MS has since made two additional patches available to 'fix the fix'.
You must call MS and request the new update. You will not find the files posted on rockwell website.

From the Rockwell knowbase:
P81834218 - PanelBuilder 1400E - fails when trying to open an application in WIN2000 or WIN XP Pro
--/ /--
Computers with WINDOWS 2000 SP4:
Customers must contact Microsoft for patch KB840999
The patch KB840999 is available only through Microsoft.
There are several contact phone numbers, based on a customers support contract with MS.
The following link can help identify contact methods: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=cntactms&style=home

For computers with Windows XP SP1:
Customers must contact Microsoft for patch KB841559
The patch KB841559 is available only through Microsoft.
There are several contact phone numbers, based on a customers support contract with MS.
The following link can help identify contact methods: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=cntactms&style=home

Yet another update!

Running Windows XP with SP2 fixes all the fixes to the fixes.

At least as far as PB1400E is concerned now RsView Studio doesn't work.