Need help with PV 300

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone,

A while back I mentioned a panel view 300 (Panel view 300-2711-K3A2L1) failed on us and I was having trouble talking to the micro logix plc. I Now have a replacement Panel View 300 and I want to load a program onto it that was sent to me from the people who make our flocculent systems. How do I go about loading a program onto the PV. What software do I need? My laptop has panel builder 1400E, will that work. Also how do I communicate with this thing. I got a 1747 UIC cord ordered in, will this work. Do I set up a driver in RSLynx? if so which one. Thanks, Tex

PB1400E is used with the PanelView 1000e, 1200e and 1400e Standard terminals.
For the PV300 you will need the PanelBuilder 32 software.
For your particular model type, you will nee a Personal Computer Interface converter(1747-PIC) or a 1761-NET-AIC converter.
Refer to
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf
and
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/2711-qs003_-en-p.pdf
for in-detail information about the task at hand.

The 2711-K3A2L1 is a PanelView 300 Keypad with a DH485 network port and DC power input. This is the "full size" PanelView 300, not the tiny PanelView 300 Micro.

The easiest way to put an application file into the terminal is to use a memory card; I've used CompactFlash cards in PCMCIA carriers with success. You need to use a CF card under 2 GB so that it can be formatted as a FAT16 volume, not FAT32 or NTFS.

If using a memory card, all you need is a *.PVA file and ordinary Windows tools for copying the file onto the card.

If using a network connection, you need PanelBuilder32 software.

If you're going to use a network connection, you will probably connect your 1747-UIC directly to the PanelView terminal.

That connection looks like an Ethernet patch cable, but IT IS NOT ETHERNET !

It's a DH485 network connection, and some DH485 ports have 24 V DC power pins. You can potentially smoke an Ethernet port if you connect it into a DH485 network port.

I had planned on using the 1747 UIC cable using the usb on my laptop to DH485 via the converter. I'll have to order the panel builder 32 software as I have no idea how to use a memory card (sounded like French to me, sorry). Thanks for the help you guys, I will read the PDF files from Rockwell and when the panel builder 32 software comes in i'll try and load the program that way. If I have any further question when the time comes i'll post on this thread again!! thanks guys!!

tex

Edit**** - Ken where do I get a memory card compatible with my PV 300 that I can use to transfer the application. I did some reading and that does sound like the easiest way to go.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a computer with a PCMCIA slot ?

If so, get a CompactFlash card (Amazon link) and a PCMCIA Adapter (Amazon link) and you will be able to transfer PanelView application files (*.PVA) to that terminal.

If you don't have a PCMCIA slot on the computer, you will also need a card reader (Amazon link).

Note that you do not need PanelBuilder32 software to transfer a *.PVA file using a flash memory card.

If you only have a *.PBA file (PanelBuilder Application), instead of a *.PVA (PanelView Application) file, post it and a Forum member can convert it using PanelBuilder32.

Do you have access to a computer with a PCMCIA slot ?

If so, get a CompactFlash card (Amazon link) and a PCMCIA Adapter (Amazon link) and you will be able to transfer PanelView application files (*.PVA) to that terminal.

If you don't have a PCMCIA slot on the computer, you will also need a card reader (Amazon link).

My laptop I use for our DH+ network has a pcmcia slot with a PCMK card. I could use that. And yes the program that was sent is a .PBA file. Where should I post the file application?

My laptop I use for our DH+ network has a pcmcia slot with a PCMK card. I could use that. And yes the program that was sent is a .PBA file. Where should I post the file application?

You could if you have the right cable, DH+ networks use a different cable then DH485. See PDF

You could if you have the right cable, DH+ networks use a different cable then DH485. See PDF

sorry I meant to say I have a laptop with a pcmcia slot in it. I could use that slot to program the compact flash card for the PV300. I established a connection with the micrologix1200 via the 1761-net-AIC. I used a 1747 UIC converter to plug in from my laptops usb to RS232 on the PLC.