RSView32 Lost Tags

KerryP

An RSView32 station that has been running for like 10 years suddenly, for no apparent reason stopped updating a long list of tags. It looks like most of the non-updating tags are strings of various lengths. Other non-string tags appear to be working.

The Communication Event Log shows the following message for each of the 100 or so tags that are not updating- "tagname:Requested quantity of addresses greater than maximum allowable. 1 requested: 0 allowed."

We upgraded the CLX from L55 to L72 about a month ago. A laptop from our maintenance department is running the same application and talking to this same processor just fine. The real HMI is 2000 while the laptop is XP SP3.

I have tried the usual tidying or removal of temporary or cache files. Any advice short of re-installing RSView32 would be appreciated. Thanks.

Look at the error log and identify a specific tag that is in error. Locate that tag in the Tag Database.

From that definition identify the tag name in the PLC. Then connect to the PLC and verify the tag is present.

Is it possible that the strings tags were being read into the PLC or even the HMI from the ASCII/SERIAL port on the old controller? The new L72 controller no longer has a serial port so perhaps those tags are not available.

OG

The dead HMI is running RSView32 V6.40.03 and RSLinx 2.40.01. The laptop that is working is running RSView32 V6.40.03 and RSLinx Gateway 2.59.02.

Our IT department broke out the 2 year-old ghost clone of the busted RSView PC and it has the exact same errors. Looks like something is going on between the L72 and Linx 2.4?? But what is it and how do I fix it - besides swapping licenses with the maintenance laptop.

The tags are fine. We have a maintenance laptop that is working just as it should.

Install RSLinx v2.59 on your dead HMI, I'm sure this is the problem. The newer 1756-Lx series complies the tag database in a different manner than in the past, I'm sure 2.4 isn't building the tag database properly due to it being such and old version.

EDIT: May have an issue with v2.59 and windows 2000. Might have to updated it to XP and v2.59 or put the old logix processor back in.

You did not mention which cache files so here is a list of several

Give the info below a try just in case cache files are in conflict with your project.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in Windows Explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.

The Harmony files for RSLinx they are also cache files that get rebuilt on start up.

Its also possible that the you have a corrupted tag data base and will need to export the tag data base and re import them but in my case that was at software version change many years ago

The minimum linx version you will need is 2.55 if I remember correctly, I have ran into this several times on 2000 machines, you may also need to update your rsview also.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. You nailed the problem down exactly. We got a new Windows 7 machine, RSLinx 2.59 and RSView32 7.6 all running nicely now. I missed the Linx/L72 compatibility issues this time. I'll know to check in the future.

The fun part of all this was getting the licenses transferred from the systems integrator who installed the system in 2003. Thank goodness they were still in business, had records of our project and were able to fill out the form and transfer the license. Curse them for not doing this in 2003. Every SI I've worked for (4) had license transfer as part of the acceptance check list. Oh well.

Curse them for not doing this in 2003.
Double-curse the b@$tards! Probably for the next project, someone should update your specifications to include the license transfer as a requirement before they get the last payment.

Last edited:
I have the same problem here. Currently wanted to upgrade RSlinx ver2.40.01 to RSlinx 2.59. I'm worried about the license issue. Existing license are professional version. Just wanted to ask, the existing license still can be use after upgrade to ver2.59? Do i need to purchase new license?