Software for uploading from TI 315AA ?

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I just got an RFQ to retrofit a furnace controller that uses a TI 315AA programmable controller.

I've never seen one of these. I realize it's similar to the TI 305 series, but that's about all I know. I've found mention in the Forum archives that unlike other members of the TI 305 family, the TI 315AA isn't supported by DirectSoft.

Can anyone here on the Forum tell me what sort of cable or interface box, and what software I would need to upload a program from this controller ?

The photos I've seen online show ribbon cable connectors, and no D-shell or modular jack type connections. I don't see anything that's obviously a communications port.

Even though this is a very low I/O count controller, the existing program will give me some crucial hints about the sequence of operation for the machine.

That model was also marketed as the GE Series One Junior. For software, you'll need either TISoft or Logicmaster One Jr. GE had a separate part number for Logicmaster One Jr, different from Logicmaster One. I'm not sure whether TISoft included all models or whether they had a distinct package for the DL315. The processor on the Junior was so limited in capabilities and speed that the software was only good for upload/download. You could not view the program online with it. Both Logicmaster and TISoft are DOS applications, so expect compatibility issues with current operating systems if you can locate a copy.

Automation Direct still sells the serial interface unit for them. The part number is D3-232-DCU. There is also a D3-422-DCU model. When TI and later Siemens had the product line, they had an RS232 version of the serial interface unit. GE only ever had an RS422 version, so you also needed a RS232/422 converter.

You could also use the handheld programmer to step through the program and transcribe the instructions, but I don't think AD offers them any more.

Edit: Watch your PMs.

Last edited:
Ken I have the serial interface as well. If you need one I will drop it in the mail.
I did a series 1 jr retro fit a couple of years ago. There arw a few gotchas to watch for.
I have the 232 dcu from AD and a few okd GE

Ken, You're taking me back now! :rolleyes:

I don't remember if I ever worked on that particular model, but I do remember the TI305 PLCs, and 405, and 505. I used TISOFT DOS version for about 12 years in a couple of plants I contracted to and don't remember ever using it for a TI3xx brick? As far as I can remember the bricks were only designed to be used with the handheld programmer and not with PCs? The handheld I used belonged to one of the companies. It was the TI Model 305 Programmer. I can't find a manual for the damned thing but I know it's compatible with the 305 PLCs.

Here's a recently sold ebay item including a Model 315AA and Model 305 Programmer. This just shows they go together.

Here's a currently active ebay listing with $35 price tag in Indiana for the Model 305 Programmer only.

I'd recommend you get one if you really want to read out the program for conversion. It fits straight onto the front of the brick models, no cable or software needed.

By the time you get a D3-232-DCU and cable, it'll have more than paid for itself.

Just to verify that DirectSoft isn't compatible.

This is the PLC compatibility table from the Quick Start PDF for:

The original DirectSoft (16-bit, 1998) - TI315 specifically not supported. Supports TI325 and up only.

and later DirectSoft32 (32-bit, 2002) - No mention of TI315, probably obsolete. Supports TI325 and up only.

I can't swear that TISOFT doesn't work with these bricks, just that I never used it with them as I had the handheld.

EDIT: I just read Jeff's reply before I posted this, so yeah, if the good people here can help you out with the gear you need, go for it.

G.

Thanks for the advice, guys. If I get the project, I'll be leaning on one of you for a loan of the interface box.

My plan is to replace the TI controller with a MicroLogix 1100, as this facility has a large installed base of MicroLogix and SLC controllers.

The hard part of this bid is that the installation window is 24 hours over the Christmas break.