Need help Changing SLC 5/04 Processor

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guy,

I need to change out a slc 5/04 processor. I have a new processor to replace the old, it is a 1747-L542 Ser B 32k memory OS401. The one that is currently in there is a 1747-L542 Ser C FRN 3-8 32k memory OS401. The current SLC processor is running on a DH+ network using node 62 Octal. I know that when processors don't match they will ask you a few question before you download the program. First is the processor's (new)default dH+ node is 1, i'd like to make this processor match the old one using node 62 octal, how do I achieve this. Also it says the processors do not match, would you like to change the processor type then download. then it asks by changing the processor type may result in a loss of data and or I/O configuration, are you sure you want to continue. I have the program ready to download onto the new processor, I just want to make sure i'm doing it right. Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, tex

There shouldn't be any issues; they're "close enough".
What I'd do is the following:
1. Go Online with the existing application and Save with Upload Data Table Values.
2. Go Offline, replace the project's CPU and Save As a different project name
3. Run the RSLogix 500 Compare tool (Menu Bar, Tools) with the old application as reference and the new one as the compared.
4. Verify for any differences except the CPU type; edit the "replacement" application accordingly.

The SLC 5/04 Channel 1(System)is "defaulted" to DH+ and the Node Address could be accessed via the Project Tree, Channel Configuration applet.
I'd perform all the above while connected to the existing CPU via DH+ communications, however, you should alter the setting of the "new" CPU Channel 1 Node Address to 62 (octal) prior to the actual field replacement while Serially (RS-232) connected to the rplacement CPU using a DF-1 RSLinx driver; if you attempt downloading a file containing a different DH+ node addressing while using the very same DH+ communications, you will lose connectivity or worse ("brick" the CPU)!

Last edited:
It showed a difference in the controller properties and MSG files. I'd imagine it showed a difference in MSG files because the MSG's are set up for the 62 node octal. Am I correct?

I currently have the new processor plugged into a spare rack I use for testing on the wall, just has a power supply and the processor in it. Could use this with the 1784-PCM5/B to change the default DH+ node seeing as how its not tied into the DH+ Network?

The PCMK card still uses the current node address of the SLC to establish software connectivity; if you download an application with different controller communications settings you will lose the RSLinx connection and this will be the best case scenario.
Use a USB-to-Serial adapter if your PC does not have a Serial RS232 port and a 1746/1756-CP3 cable to connect to the CPU's Serial Port; go Online using a DF-1 RSLinx driver. and download the application containing the new DH+ Node Address.

Before I read your reply I downloaded the program onto the new Processor and and changed the Node ID to 62 octal. I haven't put the processor in yet as the equipment isn't down o change it out. Wont everything change out fine seeing as how the new processor has the same Node (62? Also when I try to save the program to eeprom I get an error message saying the Download to eeprom failed?

Before I read your reply I downloaded the program onto the new Processor and and changed the Node ID to 62 octal. I haven't put the processor in yet as the equipment isn't down o change it out. Wont everything change out fine seeing as how the new processor has the same Node (62? Also when I try to save the program to eeprom I get an error message saying the Download to eeprom failed?

Is an Eprom installed in the new processor ? What Eprom (eeprom) is it ?

If its an old one then it may have been locked (write once)