Think Pad (IBM)

Hmmm. What are you link settings? Is the DS link set for the right com port, baud rate, parity etc.. did you try auto setup? what com port? Is the com port you picked being used by another application? what port in the 250 are you connected to. The top port is fixed, and the link editor defaults to the top port settings when using auto setup. Spill a little more info and we'll check it out some more.

Mike.

Dallas said:
I am trying to communicate from an IBM Think Pad (15 Pin)

15 PIN???? That's the VGA port!... :eek:

Let's hope you meant NINE pin... utoh

Edit: Mike, I think the DL250 has a DB-15HD port on it. Let's REALLY hope he didn't use a VGA extension cable between the PC and PLC!

beerchug

-Eric

Last edited:
Dallas, you need either a D2-DSCBL cable to connect to the top port, or a D2-DSCBL-1 cable to connect to the bottom port.

Note: You can click on the part numbers I listed above. I didn't underline them for fun... They're links to the A-D page.

Hopefully nothing's damaged if you did indeed try to use a VGA cable.

beerchug

-Eric

Yes, thanks for replying. No, I did not use the VGA extension cable, I have been around for a while.

I had forgotten the auto link directs toward the top port settings. But, on the Think Pad there is female 15 Pin port...250 female port.

Could I just use the FA-15HD on both ends with a Rj-12 cable in between?

By the way I do have both of the other cables D2-dscbl and the d2-dscbl-1. I have been programming for a while now, but now I have to go out in the field. For the time being I am using a handheld.

Last edited:
Dallas said:
...on the Think Pad there is female 15 Pin port

Please confirm that it's 15 pin. A serial port on any laptop is a 9-pin male. Keep in mind, you may not have a serial port on your laptop. The newer ones don't come with one. If that's the case, you'll need a USB to serial adapter.

beerchug

-Eric

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the 15 pin port on the Thinkpad was a game port (joystick, gamepad, etc.) back when some notebooks still had them. This should only output 5VDC at very low current, so hopefully it didn't cause any damage to the PLC.

Thanks again, I will use the USB-RS232 cable.

I see that ADC has them, I was wondering if radio shack would have the same cable?

By the way, There is no damage to anything, the plc is functioning in the control box without a hitch, so far..:)

Thanks.

A-D PLCs don't seem to be picky when it comes to USB to serial adapters. I bought a cheap Belkin F5U409, and it works fine for A-D stuff. Therefore, the one that Radio Shack sells (LINK) will probably work fine.

If you're planning on using the Thinkpad with OTHER software, you might want to read through THIS THREAD first... 📓

beerchug

-Eric

NO! NO! NO!

Typically the TOP port of the DL250 is used for PROGRAMMING.

The BOTTOM port can be used for programming but, is primarily used for other types of communications. If you look at the bottom port of the DL250 it has three rows of pins, and the 9 pin connector only has two rows of pins.

The proper programming cable is provided in my last post. You can either buy the cable or go to Radio Shack and buy the components and make one. Additionally that cable will work on all but the 305 CPUs.

Did you check and read the links I provided? Do you have a manual ? Have you visited the AutomationDirect.com website?

The text in blue are links. Click on them.

If you dont have a 9 pin connector on you IBM, then you will have to plug the usb to 232 adapter into the laptop, and plug the 9 pin connector on the cable into the usb adapter, and plug in the phone jack onto the TOP port of the DL250.

I'm starting to get the feeling that your pulling my leg....

Last edited:
I am not pulling to hard am I...

I will get the package tomorow and see what it has and where I need to go from there. I am sure it is a complete package...right..

Thanks for all your help...

I have been programming from the office without having to go out..making changes right here..Now it is evident that I need to get out more...instead of using the handheld..I want to use the laptop..

Yes, I have been reading the manuals I have all the manauls here..

Last edited: