Alternator in FBD

kallileo

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know 2-3 ways of creating a simple alternator (toggle bit) in ladder but I'm not very familiar with FBD. In Zeliosoft FBD there a BISTABLE block which is practically an alternator but this block it's not present in all programming software.
Is there any other ways of creating an alternator using simple FBD blocks?

Last edited:
Thanks Mark.

As far as I understand when Enabled this circuit will produce at the output a signal with frequency set by Off Pulse Length+On Pulse Length. Is it correct?

I would like to alternate the state of the output everytime I press a push button. Like a T Flip Flop. First the output is False, when I press the button it goes True, when I press it again goes False and so on.

Hello,

>As far as I understand when Enabled this circuit will produce at the output a signal with frequency set by Off Pulse Length+On Pulse Length. Is it correct?

No. The on pulse and off pulse length are defined by the pulse length value. If they are equal you have a square wave when enabled is true.
If the values are not equal then you get the on pulse length at X time and the off pulse length at Y time.

>when I press the button it goes True, when I press it again goes False and so on.

I misunderstood. When you said "alternate" I thought you wanted a pulsing output.

Now I see you just want a flip-flop. Designing the circuit should not take too long. Experiment.

Thank you guys.
Both solutions work perfectly but can't be implemented in Zelio Soft as there isn't (not sure) a positive/negative edge detection.

@Mark
It's just a electronic circuit of real life (almost) T Flip Flop.

Last edited:
Hi,

I thought it was an edge triggered one-shot, I could be wrong. I do not have the documents.

One Shot

Dear folks,

Even if the PLC doesn't have one shot instruction, you still can program it your own:

-----I I----I/I------------( )

-----I/I-------------------( )

The first rung consists of the input andded to an inverted internal e.g a marker, the output is a one shot rising.

The second rung is the inverted input the out put is the internal (marker)

Cheers
Hagos