Indusoft vs. Ignition

boardmaker

Newbie looking for some help here.

I have an application here that we would like to make some upgrades/modifications too. We currently have 5 standalone machines that are each ran by an Automation Direct DoMore PLC connected via serial to a Cmore(at each machine). We would like to network them via Ethernet to a central PC. The PC's HMI software would control each machine. The controls are pretty basic. Kinda like an oven. However, I would also like to log some data. I have never done any type of data logging/historian at all.

About this, I would like to log approx. 10 tags every 30s. Each machine would have it's own unique number/tag(ex. machine 1...) and each cycle it runs would have it's own unique consecutive run number. The cycles can last anywhere from 8 days to 30. At the end of the cycle, I just want to print out a line chart that would contain the process/control variables for the cycle. However, I would like to be able to access this data at anytime via the machine number and cycle number.

After speaking with both Indusoft and Inductive Automation, I have been assured that each software package can meet those needs and then some. The initial costs appear to be within a few hundred dollars but there appear to be some support fees with Ignition post sale. Indusoft has free tech support. Both can be downloaded for free and ran for an initial time.

I have programmed PLCs and HMIs, but never a PC HMI/SCADA system. I have not used either software but both seem to get good reviews. I'm a little concerned(my lack of knowledge) about the data logging, but I have been assured by both companies that with a little support, it will be no problem.

Now, to the stage of trial running the software. Which software do you guys that have used both think is better? Are they both easy to pick up or do they have advanced learning curves? There seems to be excellent training videos out for both. I have watched some for Indusoft, and it seems straight forward. What about the SQL learning curve? I'm ready to demo the software, and I would like to know which you guys think I should try first. I would hate to drop 100hrs of learning into one software only to drop it for another if you know what I mean.

Side note: I have spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with both companies and they both offer top notch support presale. If that is any indication of customer service/tech support, then I'm very impressed with both.

Thanks guys

I cant speak for indusoft, but ignition is a top notch software. it has been super stable for us and the sql support opens so many avenues. support is also outstanding. They also have an active support forum that is free.

same here, don't know much about Indusoft but we have been using Inductive Automation to display a system with more than 6,000 tags without no problem. Data logging is a easy, we loaded more than 50,000 records a day to a SQL database where we can get the data out later or we can use Inductive Automation Reporting capabilities. We did not have any issues with technical support and our customer likes the idea they can access the system and see in real-time what is going on. the only thing they need is the access to the Inductive Automation Web Server from any place inside the intranet of the company. It has been a very economical solution and it works very good... all the time.

Indusoft fan here.
Have used it on Waste Water Controls, Armature winders, Automated wood cutting optimization.

Very happy with quality and support and VERY well priced.

A full 1500 tag development/runtime with 1 thin client and 1 web client is about $1,500.00.