Eaton PLC X-soft CoDeSys-2 access help!

DConger

Hi there,

We have a German machine with an Eaton XC-202 plc. I purchased the X-soft CoDeSys software and XT-SUB-D/RJ45 cable for programming. After trying several times, I have not been able to connect. Now I'm learning, it may not be possible without the program sourcecode, which Germany is definately not sharing.

Is there any other way in? Is there any work-around for this? Can I access with Ethernet if the IP address is known? Please help!

Are there any CoDeSys experts out there?

We need access to this to troubleshoot and also to integrate some necessary process changes.

Thanks so much!

I am just starting to learn CoDeSys, but in my research this issue is a major end-user concern for maintainability.

You need the source code to connect to a CoDeSys controller. Either you get that source code separately as a project file, or the OEM saves the sourcecode to the controller memory so that CoDeSys can upload it. Some small controllers won't have the memory capacity, and some OEMs won't provide the code.

Hopefully we will have some more experienced Forum members chime in on the topic.

yeah ken is right,
connect the cable and check if you have communication by using the ethernet settings program.
you did not need to buy the software as you can see and simulate with the codesys software, only not downloading to the PLC (it will stop after one hour running)

point 2 as the code in the PLC is compiled and fully in machinelanguage it is almost impossible to see anything without the proper version of the software either as an export (EXP) file or as a PRO file.

I would not buy a machine without a proper software backup.
If these ****ing germans (oops codesys is german too)wont give the software you are in big problems.
I would just ask for this software, as the program is not written good if changes need to be made.

I always give all software as my equipment is all over the world and it costs too much if they stop. I have never come across anybody who used my software in some other equipment.

Codesys has a feature that will let you download the source code to the controller. If the controller is capable of this and the programmer explicitly told it to download the source, then you can upload it from the controller. Typically by going to File->Open->PLC, but that may vary depending on the flavor if CodeSys

I always configure my Codesys to download source automatically (typically with boot project). That way you know the matching source code is always available for upload from the PLC.