Siemens Starter Download

Tim Ganz

I need to download and install the Siemens starter software but all I can find on Siemens website is broken up into 4 zip files and the instructions for making it work are not clear and I have not been able to make it work.

Anyone know where you can download the full setup or request a CD? I am talking about the free version of Siemens starter for drives.

well, all siemens download are usually broken in couple of zip files (usually with size of 667MB which is about 1 CD) with one main file that combine them all. if that is the case you need to download them all and run main. there you will ahve option to extract them without install if you want to install later.

now, i don't know if you tried that already, but by description this looks very similar to that. maybe you could provide a link to that website.

http://support.automation.siemens.c...objaction=csopen&extranet=standard&viewreg=WW

I've downloaded from here and had it running on my laptop OK.

Procedure as listed on that webpage.

Procedure to install STARTER V4.3 SP3:

Download the 2 or 3 or 4 attached ZIP files (depending on the selected download version)
Unpack the ZIP files into a shared target directory on your hard disk. Please ensure that there are no spaces in the entire path name of this target directory.
After unpacking, the shared directory must appear as follows (shown for the "complete" version):
\...\SharedDirectory\01_Readme\
\...\SharedDirectory\CD_1\
\...\SharedDirectory\CD_2\
\...\SharedDirectory\CD_3\
\...\SharedDirectory\SSP_FAMILY\
\...\SharedDirectory\SSP_G110_G120\
\...\SharedDirectory\SSP_HELP\
\...\SharedDirectory\SSP_SIMOTION_INTEGRATED\
\...\SharedDirectory\SSP_SINUMERIK_INTEGRATED\
\...\SharedDirectory\Unsupported Tools\
Start the STARTER setup program by calling it from /CD_1/SETUP.EXE.
The readme file contains important notes on how to use the tool.

I may have installed Starter incorrectly and do not have use of the help files. I uninstalled it, and then reinstalled it following the instructions and still do not have the help files. Any idea on how to get them to work?

Same here. I downloaded the software from the same link which PeterW gave but it didnt work. I need to use this with MM440's. It installs without the help files and opens up ok. After setting up the interface, and clicking assessible nodes, it is able to find all the nodes but doesnt recognise them as drives so I'm unable to select them and upload parameters. Any ideas anyone!

I was able to install it on my windows XP 32 bit virtual box and it works. So now I have the help files, but it would be great if I could just get it to work on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. People keep telling me that they will soon convert me to a siemens supporter over AB, but so far I have not seen any real benefits over AB. Everything takes longer to do and nothing is intuitive. The Comfort series HMI's are nice. That's all I will give them for now. Ok, I'm done venting...

So does anyone know how to uninstall starter so that when I reinstall it will work. I found some stuff that had me go look for files in the registry to delete and other files, but those files weren't there. Someone out there has had to have solved this.

If the help files work in XP, but not Win 7, it may be related to a Microsoft "feature". They upgraded the help system starting in Windows Vista, and dropped support for the older style help files.

You can add the Windows Help File support back in:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

I don't know if this affects Starter or not, but I've seen it affect plenty of programs.

Last edited: